Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

10 minutes ago, AndyK said:

'Shazam!' is the First Reconstructive Superhero Film

https://filmschoolrejects.com/shazam-reconstructive-superhero-film/

Or maybe, sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar !

That reminds me of the crap I used to write in college when I needed an essay for an English Lit class and I put off doing it until the last minute.

• Like 1

Finally saw this today and I loved it! It’s so cute. I think it’s my favorite of the current DC movies. Really bummed it didn’t do better at the box office. The sequel should definitely have an easier time. 9/10

• Like 4

On 6/14/2019 at 3:29 AM, Deja23 said:

Finally saw this today and I loved it! It’s so cute. I think it’s my favorite of the current DC movies. Really bummed it didn’t do better at the box office. The sequel should definitely have an easier time. 9/10

There is your answer.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, Deja23 said:

It had enormous charm and enormous heart,,without ever becoming corny and  mawkish.

I think Shazam trying to use his powers to make a little money was a bit too stealing Booster Gold's shtick ,but overall it was thoroughly enjoyable.

And the scene where Billy finds his Mother is one of the best written scenes I have seen this year, period.

Wife and I finally got to see this today (thankfully vacation means we can catch up!) Very good, but I can also see how it doesnt play as well with some by being too "kiddy." Reminded me of a modern spin on like Home Alone with a super hero bend. Lots of fun and I hope we get a second one. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, narniadis said:

Wife and I finally got to see this today (thankfully vacation means we can catch up!) Very good, but I can also see how it doesnt play as well with some by being too "kiddy." Reminded me of a modern spin on like Home Alone with a super hero bend. Lots of fun and I hope we get a second one. 

According to Levi, they'll be shooting the follow-up in the middle of next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A Star is Orm said:

I knew this was profitable, but $74 mil? That's far more than I would have guessed. Hopefully they can get the sequel into production before the year is out.

They were meant to start filming in July, but...

Good to see that if budgets are kept in check you don’t need to see huge returns for these movies to make a decent profit. 

I have a faith in Sandberg that he’ll make another good movie for Shazam 2. 

Edited by cax16

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The profits are basically coming from huge TV revenue. I reckon TV rights are with Warner's own HBO so wonder if they really recovered that 120mn TV rights.

I am not sure what you inferring here, it is not like we are looking at a At&t excel sheet.

$123M would have been big for TV in the past but in this era it look like TV is cannibalizing all other revenues sources and home ent are getting near $0 according to that estimate.

If you take a very similar performer of the last era just before this (after dvd collapse but before OTT svod):

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Hotel-Transylvania#tab=summary

Domestic Box Office $148,313,048 Details
International Box Office $230,192,764 Details
Worldwide Box Office $378,505,812

That made 200.7M after the theatrical windows, just less from TV more from Home ent.

Edited by Barnack

5 hours ago, A Star is Orm said:

I knew this was profitable, but $74 mil? That's far more than I would have guessed. Hopefully they can get the sequel into production before the year is out.

That $5M participation for a big success like that would be quite extraordinary (I imagine it is rare they have that mix of youngish-not that big name director/writer/cast, a more regular 25-40M if names were more involved would have probably lead to the profit level you had in mind. But a movie that does significantly more than is not that small budget domestic is bound to be quite profitable normally.

42 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure what you inferring here, it is not like we are looking at a At&t excel sheet.

$123M would have been big for TV in the past but in this era it look like TV is cannibalizing all other revenues sources and home ent are getting near $0 according to that estimate.

If you take a very similar performer of the last era just before this (after dvd collapse but before OTT svod):

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Hotel-Transylvania#tab=summary

Domestic Box Office $148,313,048 Details
International Box Office $230,192,764 Details
Worldwide Box Office $378,505,812

That made 200.7M after the theatrical windows, just less from TV more from Home ent.

Is OTT included in TV? I thought it should go in Home Video. If so, that would make sense.