Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I've been using Edge of Tomorrow as the comparison to this. Great film, but poor box office because of weird marketing tactics.

I don't know about that comparison, this movie seems more accessible to general audiences than EoT. It feels more along the lines of Bumbleebee or spiderverse. 

• Like 1

I’m still not expecting huge numbers but these reactions definitely won’t hurt the box office. If it breaks out big that’s great but it seems like they made a good movie. Hopefully the GA likes it. 

4 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I don't know about that comparison, this movie seems more accessible to general audiences than EoT. It feels more along the lines of Bumbleebee or spiderverse. 

It's not gonna gross as low as EoT, but I meant more like how EoT was such a crowd-pleasing blockbuster made at such a high quality that it really should have done more business; like how Shazam sounds like it's an incredibly crowd-pleasing blockbuster, and I could have seen it making a run for $300m dom/$760m worldwide especially after these reactions, but the marketing efforts were so weird in terms of getting awareness higher.

• Like 1

Just now, DMan7 said:

I think bumblebee numbers for this should be good enough. This costs less than Bumblebee too under 100M whereas Bumblebee cost 135M, so anywhere in that vicinity should be good enough for it. 

Yeah, but a crowd-pleasing, high quality superhero film with a unique spin like this one has really could have been making a lot more than that

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Yeah, but a crowd-pleasing, high quality superhero film with a unique spin like this one has really could have been making a lot more than that

Even with better marketing it would still not live up to it's potential as it has 2 juggernaut comic book movies in CM before it and Endgame after it. They should've released this movie in August instead which would have been absolutely perfect release spot for this type of movie. 

Edited by DMan7

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I will still do really well, but the big bucks will come into play when Dwayne Johnson finally shows up as Black Adam (hopefully in the sequel). 

I just looked it up on Fandango, and while you can't buy any tickets yet, previews will be starting at 4PM on Thursday.

Also of note, they're doing early access screenings via Fandango on Sat. March 23rd. But unlike the other early access shows, there's now two showtimes instead of one: at 4PM and 7PM. They really want to push this bad boy. :lol: