Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

Amazing reviews so far. Loving the Zachary love in all the tweets. I hope someone shows some love to my man Asher as well. 

I was onboard from the first trailer itself which was great. Even the second trailer, while not as good as the first, was still good. The movie looked extremely funny and promised a fun time at the theatre. 

Thanks @cax16 for all the tweets. Generally when I am looking for tweets like these around embargo time I make sure to type filter:verified after the search term to make sure I only get tweets from verified people. This shortens the search plus there is no danger of getting spoiled by some troll. 

• Like 2

I still don’t agree with the majority of you about the marketing. This had a trailer in theatres since last July and there’s been plenty of other stuff around as well. They just released a trailer and it’s getting attached to a movie that’s going to be making 150mil opening weekend and have a great run worldwide. 

I just think WB has changed their strategy for marketing now and this movie doesn’t have the same expectations as say Aquaman.

I guess we’ll see how this plays out once the movie comes out but I honestly don’t think marketing has been an issue for this. Just my opinion of course. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I just looked it up on Fandango, and while you can't buy any tickets yet, previews will be starting at 4PM on Thursday.

Also of note, they're doing early access screenings via Fandango on Sat. March 23rd. But unlike the other early access shows, there's now two showtimes instead of one: at 4PM and 7PM. They really want to push this bad boy. :lol: 

The early access shows are one thing, since those are usually counted separately from a film’s OW numbers, but having Thursday screenings at 4PM really bugs me. 5PM was already stretching, but a movie with early screenings at 4PM might as well be counted as a Thursday release. 

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

I still don’t agree with the majority of you about the marketing. This had a trailer in theatres since last July and there’s been plenty of other stuff around as well. They just released a trailer and it’s getting attached to a movie that’s going to be making 150mil opening weekend and have a great run worldwide. 

I just think WB has changed their strategy for marketing now and this movie doesn’t have the same expectations as say Aquaman.

I guess we’ll see how this plays out once the movie comes out but I honestly don’t think marketing has been an issue for this. Just my opinion of course. 

I agree with this. This movie has been marketed well. Just because we haven’t been blasted with ads and tv spots doesn’t mean they are dropping the ball on marketing. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TMP said:

WB's incredibly strange marketing tactics for a film that sounds like a huge crowd-pleasing winner

o, Mulder said:

The marketing complaints here remind me of Aquaman's marketing complaints and we all know how that turned out.

It doesn't have AQM's many money shots, but marketing seems to get the gist across as with other recent jovial street-level cbm's.

EoT was still at the end of the day an obscure Tom Cruise action/scifi thing. 

Bumblebee was a more expensive Herbie Fully Loaded.

Spider-verse was another too weird & animated Lord & Miller project.

Edited by 2kt09

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

The marketing complaints here remind me of Aquaman's marketing complaints and we all know how that turned out.

Wonder Woman was also besieged by "Ew! Why doesn't WB market it more??" complaints. It still worked out fine for that little film. :D 

Also, I don't think this is going to be that limited at the box office because of its release date. It opens five weeks after CM and 4 weeks before Endgame. It has plenty of room to do its thing box office wise, and if it ends up being as crowd-pleasing and family-friendly as it appears to be, its weekly drops before the Avengers juggernaut gets here will help it make all the bank it needs to make it super profitable. Also, we have had superhero movies coexist before.

• Like 1