Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

16 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Its Dumbo 

What? 

The Shazam one is not a secret screening. Plus, Dumbo is released on the 29th and there are currently no secret screenings advertised.

Shazam’s unlimited screening will be available to book this week, trust me. (Mid 90’s will have one on the 25th, too). 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I like it. Like MCU do their tightly interwoven universe and let DCEU do their loosely stitched together universe. I think it's smart especially because the DC flicks that gave broken out were Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Shazam! looks primed to break out as well.

I remember as soon as BvS was announced I had a conversation with a co-worker, and I argued that WB should stick to an Elseworlds plan - same actors, some movies connected in a loose continuity, but a lot of "what if" scenarios. That way, they have the freedom to do whatever the filmmakers might want, plus it sets them apart from the MCU strategy, allowing for the consumer to have both versions of a comics universe on screen. It's a shame they went full-throttle into the MCU version, without any real build-up and coherent plan, and now they're doing this as  aback-up, but I'm ahppy with the outcome, as long as the movies are good.

I think official tracking will continue to climb, building on social media and review buzz, with last minute ad blitz, so I expect 70+ OW. Even with 60, it should still be at the top on OW. Don't see Dumbo opening above 100 million and then dropping 40% or something. A Dumbo breakout is more likely a Maleficent-type opening and run...

29 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Dumbo is just light MPR all over again.

No ones cares who that little elephant is unlike other 90s Disney classics. Dumbo "breaking out" like live action Beauty and Jungle Book is like comparing Superman and Shazam in the 90s.

Agreed I don't like elephants they're weird looking

• Like 1

Dumbo looks good and I’m sure it’s going to do well, we’ll see what kind of impact it has (if any) on Shazam in a few weeks. WB is doing a lot of early screenings for Shazam in a lot of different places, they’re obviously confident in the movie and want to build buzz. 

I can’t speak for anyone else but just like mpr my family won’t be seeing Dumbo either, wife and kids have no interest. I’m sure it will do well either way. 

Edited by cax16

59 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Dumbo is going to break out. This time the "MPR Effect" is going to happen. 

Yeah, Dumbo is breaking out big time. At least Shazam can lay claim to almost definitely getting better reviews?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Dumbo breaking out doesn't mean that this won't be # 1 its OW. With the reactions it is getting and the way in which superhero films are seemingly unstoppable nowadays, I find it hard to believe that this won't be the top movie during its OW at least.

Dumbo probably does not reach $500m WW, I'm feeling it will be weak OS.

38 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Some goofy debating going on in here. Dumbo and Shazam will both break out. I expect more DOM for Shazam bit think each will open to at least $65M+ DOM. Dumbo will be #1 its OW, Shazam will be #1 its OW.

exactly...but OS wise....dumbo is in disadvantage....cause 2 big movie released back2back ,the early released will get heavy reduce theaters number wise....

Edited by boyamama