Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

After watching how badass Black Manta was in Aquaman, I want nothing more than for Cheetah and Dr. Sivana to have great showings in Wonder Woman1984 and Shazam, because the possibility of a Black Manta/Cheetah/Dr.Sivana-led League of Doom in a potential team up movie featuring leading turns from Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam is incredibly tantalizing.

Nah, I know a team-up film like that is not happening, but one can dream...

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

The pessimism is definitely down to the release date (along with the perceived failure in marketing required to overcome the release date). It's sandwiched in-between two MCU uber-blockbusters and next to another Disney family movie. So, potential siphoning of audience with Dumbo (I don't think it will be a huge impact, but I also don't agree with people using the MPR/AQM situation, as the release date was different and the target demos were different), and it being a smaller budget, smaller stakes superhero movie, featuring a little-known character. This, in the middle of the two MCU movies, could simply mean people won't spend that much through the Mar-Apr period on movies, and Shazam is the more likely of the major releases to suffer.

I don't necessarily agree with those points, but I can see where people are coming from. The way the box office was barren for the first two months could just as easily mean that every big release from here on breaks out as people are starved of must-see movies... I'm sticking by my mid-level hit predictions (550-600 WW with 175-200 DOM), but hoping for more, as I'm liking everything I'm seeing from this so far.

Do you mind explaining why people think the marketing is bad? Is it bad compared to other movies or in general? 

‘Shazam!’ To Preview Two Weeks Before Opening Via Fandango Screening Program

Increasingly as a way to generate strong buzz for a film, and to get a jump on the box office, major studios are serving up paid previews weeks in advance to moviegoers.

Fandango is partnering with Warner Bros and will be showing off New Line’s Shazam! on March 23 at 1,200 theaters, two weeks before the DC pic’s April 5 release date.  Tickets for the limited engagement go on sale today, exclusively for Fandango VIP members (the online ticket seller’s rewards program).

Fandango recently partnered with DreamWorks Animation and Universal for a Feb. 2 preview of How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World, three weeks before its Feb. 22 opening. The pic racked up $2.5M on its preview day, a figure that bested the early paid one-day preview runs of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ($1.86M) and Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation ($1.28M).

“We’re thrilled to work with Warner Bros. on our early access screening program, helping eventize movies and generate buzz before opening weekend,” says Fandango President Paul Yanover. “Shazam! is a film that appeals to the whole family, and we’re delighted that Fandango VIP fans will be among the first to see the film two weeks before it officially hits theaters.”

Jeff Goldstein, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Domestic Distribution, states, “Fandango is a terrific partner and we’re excited to work with them to bring this film to their VIP members ahead of release. Shazam! is not only a great superhero action movie, but a really funny one, full of heart and charm, and we look forward to Fandango audiences being among the very first to experience it on the big screen.”

Tickets for Shazam!‘s April 5 wide release also go on sale on Fandango today.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/shazam-fandango-early-preview-1202574896/

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, RollyCult said:

Do you mind explaining why people think the marketing is bad? Is it bad compared to other movies or in general? 

Mostly down to WB releasing the second trailer so late... I think it's a bit of a skewed perception. WB has very focused advertising, and strategies that tend to differ from the usual majors with their tentpoles. Could just be that most of us here aren't WB's focus for this campaign and we haven't been targeted as much. I do think they took long with the second trailer, but it's definitely been well-received - it played like gangbusters in front of CM this weekend when I saw it, especially with teens (I overheard a lot of "this looks VERY funny" and "I've been really anticipating this", so it seems like WB HAS been reaching those audiences).

Think the doubt is whether the marketing has reached more than males 10-26. If it truly is a crowd-pleasing, family movie, demos should balance over its play and potentially manifest into good legs, but right now the perception seems to be a skewed OW, thus a lower one (as a result of the marketing not being far-reaching).

Dunno...will be interesting to see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Mostly down to WB releasing the second trailer so late... I think it's a bit of a skewed perception. WB has very focused advertising, and strategies that tend to differ from the usual majors with their tentpoles. Could just be that most of us here aren't WB's focus for this campaign and we haven't been targeted as much. I do think they took long with the second trailer, but it's definitely been well-received - it played like gangbusters in front of CM this weekend when I saw it, especially with teens (I overheard a lot of "this looks VERY funny" and "I've been really anticipating this", so it seems like WB HAS been reaching those audiences).

Think the doubt is whether the marketing has reached more than males 10-26. If it truly is a crowd-pleasing, family movie, demos should balance over its play and potentially manifest into good legs, but right now the perception seems to be a skewed OW, thus a lower one (as a result of the marketing not being far-reaching).

Dunno...will be interesting to see. 

Thanks for taking the time to explain :)  I think I get it. I was surprised myself when my little sister wanted to see this movie since the only superhero movie she's ever watched was BvS. I think its a good move targeting kids and teens, there will be a lot of families probably.

• Like 1

Interesting. The rumors say that the review embargo also will lift on the same date as the early screenings.

So WB want both very good reviews as well as great word mouth coming out at the same time to increase the hype before release.

Box office pro has Shazam tracking at $48M OW and $144M total...

I think those are wildly low.  If I was flipping my coin, knowing Shazam will get the week before and after Easter to itself before Endgame, I'd go $60M+ OW and $200M+ total DOM.  

This prediction follows my Wonder Park going $15M+ DOM this weekend (made last weekend)...so YMMV:)...