Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Aquaman went from being a nobody among the audience to being featured in a $700m (or something like that) movie, that's definitely a boost in terms of name recognition.

Oh, come on now. Aquaman was highly-known. He was a joke, sure, but instantly recognizable. Take an iconic hero that's been treated like shit but make him look appealing, in an environment where superhero movies rule everything, and you get a success like Aquaman.

JL didn't help Aquaman.  The only place where Aquaman opened huge was in China.  It had great legs throughout the holidays mostly due to strong WOM.  

Shazam could be great and have great legs but it has a lot of competition so I think WB really needs to ramp up the marketing for OW. 

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Justice League boost? I don't even think enough people had seen Justice League for Aquaman to receive a boost.

You don't get a boost from a film that flops..which JL did.

Why do you think they only had one brief reference to JL in Aquaman?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Oh, come on now. Aquaman was highly-known. He was a joke, sure, but instantly recognizable. Take an iconic hero that's been treated like shit but make him look appealing, in an environment where superhero movies rule everything, and you get a success like Aquaman.

Aquaman, highly known? By comic geeks in the US? Probably but certainly not in the rest of the world.

Guys, stop acting like it's a shame to be known because of Justice League, it just makes sense and it's ridiculous to deny it. Exactly like Wonder Woman benefit from Batman vs Superman, exactly like Black panther benefited from Captain America Civil War, there's no shame here, just facts.

18 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Aquaman, highly known? By comic geeks in the US? Probably but certainly not in the rest of the world.

Guys, stop acting like it's a shame to be known because of Justice League, it just makes sense and it's ridiculous to deny it. Exactly like Wonder Woman benefit from Batman vs Superman, exactly like Black panther benefited from Captain America Civil War, there's no shame here, just facts.

Wonder Woman was successful despite BvS, while Aquaman was successful despite Justice League.

No one liked Justice League or BvS

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

No.At least in China,JL didn't give Aquaman a boost.Most audiences didn't watch JL before.Aquaman is the first DC film for most audiences.even Furious7 give a Aquaman a boost than JL.They do put Furious7 director New film in campaign.Not many people watched JL before.James Wan is a brand now

Edited by SliverS

18 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Aquaman has always had the recognition beyond the likes of Thor, Iron Man and most of the MCU before their first movies. No one took him seriously, but he was KNOWN. That's my point. You dismissing that is far more ridiculous than me laughing at the idea of a "JL bump".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Are you a bit young ?

Otherwise that opinion would surprise me, Aquaman was one of the very few known by non-American that never read a SH comic book or watched SH cartoons like me. That why he was used in Entourage or made fun on family guy, it was a referent almost everyone got, he was one of the most known SH of them all, below the Superman/SpiderMan/Batman but on the tier just below.

Has for having been helped or not by the giant Justice League world marketing campaign by having been featured in the big trailers, I would imagine that yes that marketing/awareness building money after all.

Edited by Barnack

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Are you a bit young ?

Otherwise that would surprise me, Aquaman was one of the very few known by non-American that never read a SH comic book or watched SH cartoons like me. That why he was used in Entourage or made fun on family guy, it was a referent people got.

Has for having been helped or not by the giant Justice League world marketing campaign by having been featured in the big trailers, I would imagine that yes that marketing/awareness building money after all.

That's basically what I'm saying, not that people watched Aquaman out of love for JL but because of exposure in the movie AND trailers of the movie, it basically means dozens of millions of people saw him and the actor interpreting him well before Aquaman got a movie.

This cannot be denied that it helped.

Edited by Fullbuster

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

And it started one year before Aquaman was released, by selling Kahl Drogo as the new, badass version of the previously ridiculed superhero thanks to the huge JL marketing campaign. That helped move the character beyond an Entourage talk-to-fish joke - even for people who didn't actually watch JL (and of course many people did watch the movie in theater, it made $657M worldwide).

Anyway, this is the Shazam thread.

5 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Shazam will probably be a great movie, that's how I feel quality-wise.

Box office-wise I'm far less certain, sandwiched between Captain Marvel and Endgame + no Justice League boost ala Aquaman...I'm not saying it's gonna flop but I expect a moderate success, somewhere between $600-800m and that'd be a great start anyway (look at Wonder Woman which did similarly).

I think you're confusing Aquaman with Captain Marvel (this one actually had a big boost because infinity war / endgame tie in).

If Justice League ( lowest grossing  DCEU movie) had an impact on Aquaman he would have very strong openings and average/weak legs, and this did not happen (but with Captain Marvel this happened, no doubt about it).

• Like 2

I feel like this film is gonna have long legs into May. Maybe I'm crazy, but if Rampage survived Infinity War, I think a critically raved-about and super crowd-pleasing superhero film can survive a titan too.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

I think you're confusing Aquaman with Captain Marvel (this one actually had a big boost because infinity war / endgame tie in).

If Justice League ( lowest grossing  DCEU movie) had an impact on Aquaman he would have very strong openings and average/weak legs, and this did not happen (but with Captain Marvel this happened, no doubt about it).

Without justice league,if Aquaman is the first dc Universe film,it will be a hit.James Wan is a brand.He makes Aquaman a hit.JL did a little in Aquaman.

Edited by SliverS
  • Like 1