Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

52 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Wonder Woman was successful despite BvS, while Aquaman was successful despite Justice League.

No one liked Justice League or BvS

Indeed. They sucked big time. I almost didn't see Aquaman in theaters because of it. Wonder Woman, well I had to, gal gadot just killed it.

• Like 2

Aquaman did not save Ken Tsujihara; he is out as head of Warners:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-kevin-tsujihara-exit-as-studio-chief-1054951

He has been on shaky ground for some time; Warners was simply not making the profits that the shareholders thought it should;if Warners was meeting expectation he might have weathered the scandle. But he was expendable.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Apparently it coincides with the time the first preview screenings are done. If true, nicely done WB.

That would make sense cause I’m seeing Shazam at 4pm est on Saturday. 

• Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, dudalb said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-kevin-tsujihara-exit-as-studio-chief-1054951

He has been on shaky ground for some time; Warners was simply not making the profits that the shareholders thought it should;if Warners was meeting expectation he might have weathered the scandle. But he was expendable.

Sounds like a decision not taking lightly as he was the only one who originally survived the restructure which saw the heads of HBO and Turner leave.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Sounds like a decision not taking lightly as he was the only one who originally survived the restructure which saw the heads of HBO and Turner leave.

He is another victim of Harvey Weinstein disease.

Thought if Warners had been doing better, he chances of surviving this would have been greater.

29 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I'll never forget that this man commissioned a 100 million+ remake of Point Break and put it head to head vs Star Wars.

While he was horrible, the restructuring of WB was happening under his watch, so I wonder what will happen

4 minutes ago, TestPattern said:

While he was horrible, the restructuring of WB was happening under his watch, so I wonder what will happen

Wasn't the restructuring happening under Emmerich?

Tsuji was essentially playing more of a backseat role.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

He is another victim of Harvey Weinstein disease.

Thought if Warners had been doing better, he chances of surviving this would have been greater.

TBH I suspect once this has died down, he'll be hired by another studio; 

4 minutes ago, TestPattern said:

I'll never forget that this man commissioned a 100 million+ remake of Point Break and put it head to head vs Star Wars.

TBF Point Break was made and funded by Alcon and WB simply distributed.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Warner media has several personnel changes these days.Hope this don't effect shazam much

From The Wrap

The resignation comes just weeks after other prominent exits at WarnerMedia, including longtime HBO boss Richard Plepler and Turner head David Levy. They exited in a reorganization that included former NBC entertainment chief Bob Greenblatt taking over leadership of HBO and Turner. All the resignations came after AT&T completed its $85 billion acquisition of Time Warner.

Edited by SliverS

36 minutes ago, SliverS said:

Warner media has several personnel changes these days.Hope this don't effect shazam much

From The Wrap

The resignation comes just weeks after other prominent exits at WarnerMedia, including longtime HBO boss Richard Plepler and Turner head David Levy. They exited in a reorganization that included former NBC entertainment chief Bob Greenblatt taking over leadership of HBO and Turner. All the resignations came after AT&T completed its $85 billion acquisition of Time Warner.

Shazam should be fine as it's being handled by New Line.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

TBH I suspect once this has died down, he'll be hired by another studio; 

Why?. Warners was seen as underperforming under Tsujihara. It's prize Franchise , DC, was seen as underperforming.....Warners shareholders and the Board of Governmors were expecting Marvel studios level of success, and it did not happen, and another big franchise, the Potterverse, was seen as having problems. Even if he did not leave under a cloud, other studios would not be clamoring for him to take over.

What you have to understand is that the careers of many execs are ended not because they lose money, but because they were not making the level of profits expected. It's a pretty harsh business under all the glamour and glitz.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, TestPattern said:

I love how we like to pretend that Aquaman had no competition now

After weeks of posters saying that Mary Poppins was going to do $400M+ domestic,  it's very interesting that people are just writing that off as a Disney throwaway now  lol.   

Shazam on the other hand has an obscene amount of competition. I hope WB ramps up the promo 1000% in the next week or so. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Warners was seen as underperforming under Tsujihara. It's prize Franchise , DC, was seen as underperforming

Is it possible to have shareholders quote on this ?

That CEO arrived in march 2013, let a year or to for him to be responsible of the slate.

Revenues / Operating income

2010: 11,622 / 1,107

2011: 12,638 / 1,263

2012: 12,018 / 1,228

2013: 12,312 / 1,324

2014: 12,526 / 1,159

2015: 12,992 / 1,416

2016: 13,037 / 1,734

2017: 13,866 / 1,761

2018: ATT merger affair and quite different result or accounting, hard to compare but what look like an excellent (for a movie studio) 17% margin, 18.1% ebitda

WB seem to have performed clearly above is predecessor, not being a company it is hard to evaluate, but Time Warner stock price was around $55 in march 2013, the stock was sold to what a bit over $100 ($103 ? to Att) around 5 year's later, if I was an stockholder I would have been really really happy with it. The guy video game/multi media/streaming experience could be really prized by some studio, like say perfect match for Sony.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1