Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

11 minutes ago, Dbui8743 said:

End Game gonna be huge but I don’t think it is gonna be fresher.

Infinity war wasnt in the 90’s and this feels like Wonder Woman.

Nah I doubt that. End game will probably be better than Infinity War. Snap pissed some off.

1 hour ago, firedeep said:

I heard Shazam is bad ... will be beat by Andhadhun.

This is from the China thread.

I’m only posting this so we keep expectations in check(not to start a big fight). @Gavin Feng thought this might break out in China but I guess @firedeepknows someone who saw it and doesn’t think it will do well in China. Definitely disappointing as we’ve only seen really good reactions so far but maybe this film won’t resonate with the Chinese audience.

I’m still hoping for $400-450m WW. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

This is from the China thread.

I’m only posting this so we keep expectations in check(not to start a big fight). @Gavin Feng thought this might break out in China but I guess @firedeepknows someone who saw it and doesn’t think it will do well in China. Definitely disappointing as we’ve only seen really good reactions so far but maybe this film won’t resonate with the Chinese audience.

I’m still hoping for $400-450m WW. 

I meant it will be bad for Chinese GA. Maybe it will be liked by domestic audience.

• ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, firedeep said:

I meant it will be bad for Chinese GA. Maybe it will be liked by domestic audience.

I completely understood what you meant, I’m not concerned about it being liked by domestic audiences, I just don’t think the box office will be that big. 

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Nah I doubt that. End game will probably be better than Infinity War. Snap pissed some off.

Why are you expecting Endgame to be any less of a clunky mess than Infinity war was? ( from a critics point of view)

I think it won't do that great OS as it's not a well-known superhero and seems to appeal to kids, as the expense of other demos far more than a typical 4-quad superhero movie (again, form marketing, as the movie could end up with different wom). But nothing about it screams "America! Fuck yeah!" to me. I don't think people not being able to relate to an American teen is the issue here. But, we'll see how the film actually turns out and how it connects with audiences.

• ...wtf 1

34 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think it won't do that great OS as it's not a well-known superhero and seems to appeal to kids, as the expense of other demos far more than a typical 4-quad superhero movie (again, form marketing, as the movie could end up with different wom). But nothing about it screams "America! Fuck yeah!" to me. I don't think people not being able to relate to an American teen is the issue here. But, we'll see how the film actually turns out and how it connects with audiences.

Agreed. I just don’t know how other places are going to react to it. Most uk critics I saw from yesterday seemed to really enjoy it ( and for the most part they didn’t really like Aquaman).

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Shazam is the biggest Americana since Michael Bay and OS totally rejects Michael Bay;)

Transformers is a visual spectacle which is exactly the sort of thing that works WW.

Its wordplay and nuanced humour that doesn't translate, visual humour like THORAG does work well.

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Why are you expecting Endgame to be any less of a clunky mess than Infinity war was? ( from a critics point of view)

Just a guess. Part 1 of 2 part films are often clunky. Could be wrong.

I really hope the whole world loves Shazam, more specifically I hope I love it. Aquaman blew up way more than expected, perhaps this can as well.

30 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Agreed. I just don’t know how other places are going to react to it. Most uk critics I saw from yesterday seemed to really enjoy it ( and for the most part they didn’t really like Aquaman).

Weird. I loved Aquaman. Sure it wasn't deep but it was fun as hell. Figured the same for this movie.

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Weird. I loved Aquaman. Sure it wasn't deep but it was fun as hell. Figured the same for this movie.

Everyone likes what they like and that’s completely fine, I loved Aquaman. 

I also think this won't do as much as it probably deserves. At least internationally.

Shazam is pretty much an unknown, and it doesn't seem to have the "spectacle" that doesn't need a translation.

While a movie like Big felt like a movie for adults to be reminded what it's like to be a kid this one falls more into a kid's super hero fantasy.

It'll probably be a damn lot of innocent fun though.

59 minutes ago, cax16 said:

UK is not the best example since it's movie tastes generally align better with America compared to other territories. Be interesting to see the first reviews from other parts of Europe or Asia that aren't as closely connected with American culture though.