Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Oh yeah Shazam screams MERICA fr the previews. Fully expecting it do bad internationally in many countries. What's the prediction for China 

Agreed. Not bad, but not huge. Deadpool is a freak of the genre. 

3 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

How in the hell does Shazam ! scream America !!!!!!! No idea what you're talking about folks

Because American comedies don’t usually do big box office overseas. 

20 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

UK is not the best example since it's movie tastes generally align better with America compared to other territories. Be interesting to see the first reviews from other parts of Europe or Asia that aren't as closely connected with American culture though. 

Oh I’m not implying anything by that, I just meant that most uk critics didn’t love Aquaman, most seem to like Shazam more.

I’m curious as well, it will be a good indication of how the comedy/movie is being received overseas 

8 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

It screened in China? 

Regardless don't see why it can't make at-least 100m there unless there is strong competition. Most superhero movies even DCEU got close to or around that figure (AQM being the exceptional breakout). 

Latin America is strong for DCEU movies as well. 

Gavin said next week the 26th or sometime around that time  I think? Not sure who saw it in China. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/9/2019 at 3:00 PM, MrGlass2 said:

Adults are less likely to watch a movie with teenage leads, while the theoretical target audience is at home playing Fortnite. With good reviews Shazam should do very well in the US (given the budget) but remain a bit more "niche" than the average superhero film overseas.

Final Prediction

$260M DOM / $500 WW

Back to my original final prediction. :redcapes:

Shazam screams America what now? Even the pop-culture references shown in the trailers (Game of Thrones, other DC superheroes) are pretty universal and well-known. It doesn't seem to be like GOTG humour that depended far more on 70's/80s American references that may not have translated all that well OS (one of the reasons why I think the GOTG films are softer internationally than many of their MCU counterparts).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Shazam screams America what now? Even the pop-culture references shown in the trailers (Game of Thrones, other DC superheroes) are pretty universal and well-known. It doesn't seem to be like GOTG humour that depended far more on 70's/80s American references that may not have translated all that well OS (one of the reasons why I think the GOTG films are softer internationally than many of their MCU counterparts).

Trailers have mainly visual humor. Don't think the film will be much different. Add action and horror, it's universe friendly. 

• Thanks 1

From what my understanding is from the reactions,Shazam is just like the kind of films me and my friends and basically my entire generation grew up with.And while we are all grown up now I find myself excited to see a film where the elements of these films are represented with a superhero twist.

What I want to say is that Shazam's premise and themes are pretty universal and something that European audiences are pretty familiar with.

China is a wild card because my understanding is that the film relies heavily on the family and not the action and that makes it way more appealing to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

From what my understanding is from the reactions,Shazam is just like the kind of films me and my friends and basically my entire generation grew up with.And while we are all grown up now I find myself excited to see a film where the elements of these films are represented with a superhero twist.

What I want to say is that Shazam's premise and themes are pretty universal and something that European audiences are pretty familiar with.

China is a wild card because my understanding is that the film relies heavily on the family and not the action and that makes it way more appealing to me.

The family aspect is why Gavin thought it might break out in China. 

Either way, I’m super excited. I see this in 2 days and all the reactions from people I like and even from people I don’t normally follow are really exciting.

I just hope it can put up decent enough numbers for it to get a sequel made. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

The family aspect is why Gavin thought it might break out in China. 

Either way, I’m super excited. I see this in 2 days and all the reactions from people I like and even from people I don’t normally follow are really exciting.

I just hope it can put up decent enough numbers for it to get a sequel made. 

IMO, even if the worst case scenario happens (150M/350M) this will be profitable

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

IMO, even if the worst case scenario happens (150M/350M) this will be profitable

When I say perform poorly in some markets I clearly don't mean all. I already predicted 276 million DOM so yeah I think it's gonna be a hit. Maybe 276/600 DOM? Seems to me that would be badass for a small budget film.

5 hours ago, cax16 said:

Agreed. I just don’t know how other places are going to react to it. Most uk critics I saw from yesterday seemed to really enjoy it ( and for the most part they didn’t really like Aquaman).

Also,  "Shazam" really stresses the comedy, and comedy does not always travel well outside the country of it's origin.

I think the film looks great, but wouldnot be surprised if it is only a modest success at the box office.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Also,  "Shazam" really stresses the comedy, and comedy does not always travel well outside the country of it's origin.

I think the film looks great, but wouldnot be surprised if it is only a modest success at the box office.

Good comedy does not see boundaries.Plus, didn’t they say that the comedy in Shazam is not based on one liners but the situations that these kids find themselves into?

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Thanks 3

It's more kid-oriented, short on spectacle and the American setting seems integral to its identity. It looks like a TV pilot. I would be surprised if it did more than 200m OS.

Edited by Goffe
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Good comedy does not see doundaries.Plus, didn’t they say that the comedy in Shazam is not based on one liners but the situations that these kids find themselves into?

I would not take those comments that Shazam "screams America" here seriously, some of these people are just trolls or biased.

• Like 5