Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

12 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

I'd say they both made mistakes but WB definitely rushed their universe building to the detriment of the individual movies. 

People keep saying that, but I don’t see it. JL was the fifth film in the universe, and Snyder apparently had a planned story arc that would’ve spanned five films. They didn’t need to give every single member of the Justice League a solo movie beforehand. The MCU didn’t give Hawkeye or Black Widow solo movies. The problem was in the execution. It’s not like WW was hurt from having to fit into a pre-existing universe.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

I agree with your general point but nit that not many people knew who Iron Man was. I think he was one of the top Marvel heroes and involved in a lot of their major storylines throughout their media before the movie. There was a significant amount of awareness aming key parts of the target demographic imo.

Fair point, but he still was nowhere close to the household name status of characters like Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman. In any case, the MCU deserves all the credit for ushering this golden age of comic book films. If one happens to be a fan of superheroes, this is simply a wonderful time to be alive. 

• Like 2

TOMATOMETER

100%                                                                                                                                                                                                        Top Critics

Average Rating: 6.92/10 
Reviews Count: 8 
Fresh: 8 
Rotten: 0
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

People keep saying that, but I don’t see it. JL was the fifth film in the universe, and Snyder apparently had a planned story arc that would’ve spanned five films. They didn’t need to give every single member of the Justice League a solo movie beforehand. The MCU didn’t give Hawkeye or Black Widow solo movies. The problem was in the execution. It’s not like WW was hurt from having to fit into a pre-existing universe.

Only because Wonder Woman was pretty much a part of that universe, but thoroughly did its own thing. And after three films that were narratively cluttered and tonally dirge-like, WW finally gave DCEU fans a movie that had a clear, coherent story, and a more upbeat aesthetic, with a heroic superhero (imagine that!) at its center, and a yummy taste of romance and passion. Of course, having an absolute charmer like Gal Gadot as WW (much in the same way that critics are raving about how Zachary Levi's charismatic performance in Shazam is the film's best asset) and a capable director like Patty Jenkins at the helm helped tremendously. 

• Like 1

It’s good. I’d even throw in a dang before it.

It has plenty of issues found in just about every Marvel and DC movie (yes both), but has a solid charm and flair that makes it transcend those issues. Levi in particular kills it every time he is on screen.

Never seen any of Samberg’s horror movies, and while this isn’t super dark, there’s still a good amount of edge to it.

• Like 1