94% at 47 reviews

For comparison, Captain Marvel was at:

85% at 35 reviews

91% at 68 

85% at 178

81% at 253

79% at 326

78% at 432

We have a long ways to go for Shazam. At this point, I'd expect it to settle in around 80%-85% on RT at the end of the day.

Shazam has much higher average score. CM barely got to 7.2 once, Shazam is at 7.7-7.9. Metacritic also indicated 90+ finish on RT.

2 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Shazam has much higher average score. CM barely got to 7.2 once, Shazam is at 7.7-7.9. Metacritic also indicated 90+ finish on RT.

Yea CM MC score is 65 last I checked and it has a 6.79/10 on RT which are a lot less than Shazam. I expect Shazam to finish in the high 80s (88-89%), low 90s (90-93) with the MC score and RT average rating it currently has. It should land where Logan/Wonder Woman ended up. 

45 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

It's kinda hard to compare those other movies, as Shazam had 2/3 preview screenings, while the rest of those movies had only one IIRC. But I guess it's fine? Maybe it should've done a bit better considering the extra showtimes?

I think the number is actually really good when you figure how much US and CM made this weekend and they ended up adding an extra showtime for Shazam cause of demand.

Personally for myself I don’t really care for the comparisons numbers but I was expecting like 1.5m tbh. 

I don’t think the number means much in respects to it out opening something( say Aquaman or w/e) but I’m honestly pleasantly surprised. 

Edited by cax16

39 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

It's kinda hard to compare those other movies, as Shazam had 2/3 preview screenings, while the rest of those movies had only one IIRC. But I guess it's fine? Maybe it should've done a bit better considering the extra showtimes?

Not exactly, Aquaman had more showtimes because theaters had programmed 3-4 showings due to sellouts. Theaters near me had all added second or even third and fourth showings. Comparatively, only a couple of theaters had added extra showings of Shazam yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Not exactly, Aquaman had more showtimes because theaters had programmed 3-4 showings due to sellouts. Theaters near me had all added second or even third and fourth showings.

That I did not know. Guess that does put things into perspective more.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Not exactly, Aquaman had more showtimes because theaters had programmed 3-4 showings due to sellouts. Theaters near me had all added second or even third and fourth showings. Comparatively, only a couple of theaters had added extra showings of Shazam yesterday.

All theatres playing this in Ottawa, Canada (at Cineplex) had two show times for this yesterday (4pm and 7pm). Deadline also indicates that 1200 theatres participated in the previews. That's about 2400 showtimes on a Saturday.

So while the preview number is great (and will give an extra little boost to the total opening weekend), I'm not really sure if we can read too much into it one way or another. 

In fact, these paid previews are such a new phenom, and are very different in size and scope so far (and for that matter, in how they work -i.e. some are for Amazon Prime members only) we really can't make informed decisions based on such limited data. 

My big question is, which such good result and WOM, does Warners dare hold sneaks next Saturday or Sunday as well, on Dumbo opening weekend? The thing about these paid previews is they are still getting cash for them, while creating invaluable word of mouth for the opening weekends. It almost feels like a no-brainer. 

I'm certain we will continue to see such paid previews rise in the future. Many other countries have been doing them for years.

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Not really. 

Auqaman's previews were through Amazon for it's Prime members (according to Deadline), meaning you have a paid membership to Prime in order to buy tickets. 

As I state in my last post, these paid previews data are so limited and not apples to apples comparison at this point, we still don't have enough data to make informed decisions. The best we can say at this point is that it's a good number, let's see where that takes us....

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

There's definitely a lot of variables. Existing competition, number of total showtimes, how many were added and the convenience of 2 different times whereas all of Aquaman's shows were at 7pm. 3.3M is a great result in the end since final showtime count would probably be really close. I remember tracking Aquaman's early screening and every theater had added at least one additional show. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

Not really. 

Auqaman's previews were through Amazon for it's Prime members (according to Deadline), meaning you have a paid membership to Prime in order to buy tickets. 

As I state in my last post, these paid previews data are so limited and not apples to apples comparison at this point, we still don't have enough data to make informed decisions. The best we can say at this point is that it's a good number, let's see where that takes us....

Amazon Prime has over 100M subscribers, that's a third of the US population. And as I had mentioned, the theaters kept adding screenings till the last minute for Aquaman as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yeah the number of total showings would be more useful to know. Anyway that is a great number for Shazam, the first time it seems anywhere near Aquaman level of hype since the Comic-Con trailers.

Not bad for a movie tracking at $45M. :sparta:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Amazon Prime has over 100M subscribers, that's a third of the US population. And as I had mentioned, the theaters kept adding screenings till the last minute for Aquaman as well.

Also, anyone who wasn’t a prime member could of just signed up for a free trial and bought tickets I assume(unless the states doesn’t have the same trial thing as Canada). I’ve been a prime member 4 different times with the free trial period thing. 

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Also, anyone who wasn’t a prime member could of just signed up for a free trial and bought tickets I assume(unless the states doesn’t have the same trial thing as Canada). I’ve been a prime member 4 different times with the free trial period thing. 

We have the free trial period too, but I don't know if that means you would've been allowed to the Aquaman show. Could be wrong though

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And Fandango's preview was open to 300 million people who wished to buy tickets.... one was more restrictive than the other was the point I was making....

It also depends on how much Amazon marketed the previews vs. how much Fandango marketed the previews to their respective membership bases. Again, it's simply just not an apple to apple comparison. All I'm saying is there is insufficient data with paid previews to make any other claim than this seems like a good result, let's see where things go.

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

We have the free trial period too, but I don't know if that means you would've been allowed to the Aquaman show. Could be wrong though

Ya I have no idea but if people were allowed to purchase tickets it probably brought in a bunch of new trial accounts. 

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Also, let's remember that the GA is not necessarily going to sign up for Prime membership when they can simply wait a week or two and see the movie anyways. 

Again, let's just all agree that this is a great preview number (which I think we all do), and that it's too difficult to extrapolate OW based on such limited data.

Just now, VanillaSkies said:

Also, let's remember that the GA is not necessarily going to sign up for Prime membership when they can simply wait a week or two and see the movie anyways. 

Again, let's just all agree that this is a great preview number (which I think we all do), and that it's too difficult to extrapolate OW based on such limited data.

Whew, who knew my first weekend of posting on this site was going to be so active :)