Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Ads are still on. Decent turnout for an unlimited screening. Well, two of them one at 8, one 8.10. Reckon 80% full. 

Well yeah. Can't remember the last time Cineworld bagged a film as high profile as this. My showingsrammed. As expected. 

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Internet buzz might be up to Aquaman level, but presales on Fandango are still pretty bad, really bad for a superhero movie: only 10% of Captain Marvel at same point (~$15M OW).

At least the only way is up.:jeb!:

Comparing Shazam to one of the most pre sales heavy superhero films ever seems pretty stupid , compare it to other DC films or ant man etc.. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

@MrGlass2 is just giving us numbers and comparisons. I think this is hard movie to track tbh. Next week is gonna be even worse I think with endgame tickets going on sale also. 

Comparison* to one of the most heavy pre sales films adds nothing. 

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Shazam is completely unknown. Nobody outside of comic circles have heard of this character. I don't remember him being in the Justice League cartoon which helped introduce many characters to people who never heard of them.  This will rely on legs more than a big opening 

You can say that about GOTG also. No one outside of heavy duty Marvel Comics fans had ever heard of them.

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Yeah, freefall on reviews coming. Floppage at the box office. 

Sell the rights back to Marvel... 

Marvel never, ever, had the rights to Shazam/Captain Marvel.

He was first owned by Fawcett publishsers then DC.

Hell, at the hight of his popularity in the 1940's Marvel comics was not even called Marvel Comics. They used the name "Timely". They did not change to Marvel until 1960.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Why are people acting like Shazam is very unknown character. As far as I know Shazam is much more known than GOTG and Captain Marvel 

Because he is?

GOTG and Captain Marvel being more unknown is irrelevant when they're apart of the MCU

• Like 3

This had funny moments. You could see the directors horror roots coming through sometimes too, which I appreciated. 

Very well directed. 

Cant really discuss the negatives without spoilers. 

3/5 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

Hmm. So, I really enjoyed it. Fun, funny and some decent action. Still, most of the good jokes were spoiled in the trailers and clips (my fault for watching). 

However, I do think Asher Angel was fairly poor. 

Sluggish first act. 

It did also lack in spectacle a bit, which was to be expected, given the budget, and of course not every superhero movie needs to be about the end of the world, but given its release date, in-between the two MCU movies, I think Shazam will suffer at the box office, as it will not be a must watch. 

I think it'll have great wom, and I expect it will definitely be a "ah, never saw this in cinema, glad I caught it on streaming" sort of popular movie. But I don't see more than 150 domestic, 450 worldwide at the moment. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Marvel never, ever, had the rights to Shazam/Captain Marvel.

He was first owned by Fawcett publishsers then DC.

Hell, at the hight of his popularity in the 1940's Marvel comics was not even called Marvel Comics. They used the name "Timely". They did not change to Marvel until 1960.

Ya think? 

27 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Guess you didn’t fall asleep? 

Had lots of caffeine. Glad I didn't fall asleep. 

It was a lot less funny than I expected, but it actually worked very well, characters are really well written.

Can't remember the last time I had an emotional response to a superhero film, guess it must have been Yondus death in Gotg2.

Well done Shazam!.

And just as a superhero origin film it is miles ahead of anything in the MCU.

Third act drags a bit but generally I liked everything in this.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Matthew said:

Why are people acting like Shazam is very unknown character. As far as I know Shazam is much more known than GOTG and Captain Marvel 

Lets get fucking real for a second and just admit all are unknown there is no argument here so why even have it.

37 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Hmm. So, I really enjoyed it. Fun, funny and some decent action. Still, most of the good jokes were spoiled in the trailers and clips (my fault for watching). 

However, I do think Asher Angel was fairly poor. 

Sluggish first act. 

It did also lack in spectacle a bit, which was to be expected, given the budget, and of course not every superhero movie needs to be about the end of the world, but given its release date, in-between the two MCU movies, I think Shazam will suffer at the box office, as it will not be a must watch. 

I think it'll have great wom, and I expect it will definitely be a "ah, never saw this in cinema, glad I caught it on streaming" sort of popular movie. But I don't see more than 150 domestic, 450 worldwide at the moment. 

Define suffer considering only needs like 300m for profit?

I also think its doing more then 150m domestic.

21 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Define suffer considering only needs like 300m for profit?

I also think its doing more then 150m domestic.

Suffer, as in make 450 million, instead of Ant Man numbers - 550-600 would have been possible without the CM/Endgame double whammy. 

Can't see any scenario where the movie isn't profitable, but a live-action superhero movie from one of the big two brands making less than 500 WW would be a bit of an underperformance, as it would most likely mean money left on the table. 

21 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Suffer, as in make 450 million, instead of Ant Man numbers - 550-600 would have been possible without the CM/Endgame double whammy. 

Can't see any scenario where the movie isn't profitable, but a live-action superhero movie from one of the big two brands making less than 500 WW would be a bit of an underperformance, as it would most likely mean money left on the table. 

I still think it can make 550 to 600m.

Also no it wouldn't be a under performance if it makes 500m so lets stop that crap before it even starts. 

• Like 2