Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

DC's SHAZAM! strikes 4,100+ theaters next weekend and should power up around $55M, having already banked $3.3M in previews. Reportedly, the film cost under $100M, which is already a huge win by superhero standards these days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, a2k said:

With a prod budget close to 100 and a similar global marketing spend, SHAZAM could get a sequel even with ALITA's 405 ww.

Guessing SHAZAM's breakdown if it does around 405 ww,

175 Dom

65 Ch

165 OS-Ch

= 405

Gives 175*0.55 + 65*0.25 + 165*0.40 = 178.5 global theatrical revenue

That covers all of prod budget and eats well into marketing budget.

ALITA's 405 ww with it's Dom, OS-Ch, Ch breakdown gave it 155 theatrical returns on 170 prod budget + >100 marketing budget.

China should be more than that. Its PS is on par with Thor Ragnarok and Justice League right now and they both debuted in the 50’s (I think) and made 100m+ total. If Wom and ratings are good it can definitely get there. 

Plus it has a holiday weekend on its OW which should boost its opening. Plus it doesnt have any major competition after or before (with dumbo flopping there) which should help its legs. Endgame opens after 20 days by which time it would have made of its money as well so thats not a threat. 

22 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Hmm. So, I really enjoyed it. Fun, funny and some decent action. Still, most of the good jokes were spoiled in the trailers and clips (my fault for watching). 

However, I do think Asher Angel was fairly poor. 

Sluggish first act. 

It did also lack in spectacle a bit, which was to be expected, given the budget, and of course not every superhero movie needs to be about the end of the world, but given its release date, in-between the two MCU movies, I think Shazam will suffer at the box office, as it will not be a must watch. 

I think it'll have great wom, and I expect it will definitely be a "ah, never saw this in cinema, glad I caught it on streaming" sort of popular movie. But I don't see more than 150 domestic, 450 worldwide at the moment. 

:whosad:

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

So is that official tracking in the mid-50s?

Still think this will not be very big, but hope I'm wrong. The movie will definitely be profitable - there's no way it outright flops - but I do hope I'm wrong and it actually puts up big numbers and at least matches the first Ant Man. Not because of any MCU-DC rivalry, but because I do think it's a valid comparison and I do want Shazam to be rewarded for being something different in the DCEU. As much as I didn't LOVEit, I do think it's a good movie and it deserves success - if for no other reason than tk have a slightly higher budget for the sequel and hopefully have the characters crossover with some of the other big guns in the DC... 

• Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

So is that official tracking in the mid-50s?

Still think this will not be very big, but hope I'm wrong. The movie will definitely be profitable - there's no way it outright flops - but I do hope I'm wrong and it actually puts up big numbers and at least matches the first Ant Man. Not because of any MCU-DC rivalry, but because I do think it's a valid comparison and I do want Shazam to be rewarded for being something different in the DCEU. As much as I didn't LOVEit, I do think it's a good movie and it deserves success - if for no other reason than tk have a slightly higher budget for the sequel and hopefully have the characters crossover with some of the other big guns in the DC... 

I don’t think we’ve had any official tracking numbers since the early tracking came out.

• Like 1

Of all the DCEU films to potentially have a lower OW, this is the one that can afford it the least due to the Endgame proximity. 50's would not be good. Will need WOM to really come through for some amazing second and third weekend holds in that case. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Knock It Off 2