Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

4 hours ago, Matthew said:

Shazam is going to earn respective amount of money at box office. 

You all are acting like this is JL all over again. DC is doing very good and I am very excited for BOP and WW84. 

Joker doesn't look my type of movie though. 

People are not acting like this is justice league. JL had a huge budget  almost triple Shazam’s budget. It was a team up movie and was supposed to gross over a billion. Only idiots think this needs to do more than 500-600 to be a hit and a success.

now if it does more than that then it’s a break out and a well deserved one and I hope it happens. If It doesn’t and it grosses between 500-600 then that’s great and it’s a success.

• Like 1

Talking to the kids and the Shazam ad came on TV.

I said I wanted to see it and they pulled a face. I said "what?" and they said "it's DC!".

Still some work to do to overcome the stigma.

Edited by AndyK
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

27 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I said I wanted to see it and they pulled a face. I said "what?" and they said "it's DC!".

Combination of DC stigma and Disney drilling brand loyalty forvthe MCU into audiences. WB fucked up so much after TDKR... They can't afford a single screw up between now and Batman. If they keep delivering well-liked movies and Batman hits it out of the park, then they can start buikding another big team-up, to rival The Avengers. But that is a long way away at the moment...

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

My kids are more into marvel as well. But since they saw Aquaman and it was almost on the same level as IW for them they’re ok now. Now they actually asked to see Shazam last month. 

The internet/social media/YouTube is an awful place and turns people who are easily influenced into sheep ( not calling your kids that of course, just saying).

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, cax16 said:

My kids are more into marvel as well. But since they saw Aquaman and it was almost on the same level as IW for them they’re ok now. Now they actually asked to see Shazam last month. 

The internet/social media/YouTube is an awful place and turns people who are easily influenced into sheep ( not calling your kids that of course, just saying).

There is a stigma at times, but at the end of the day in spite of it, most people are still going to the movies (ESPECIALLY if they're good) ... box office proves it ... WW domestic # is better than Civil War and every Iron Man solo movie ... and will likely finish ahead of CM ... Aquaman worldwide is higher than any film from Marvel that's not either Black Panther or a film featuring Iron Man. 

Shazam is tricky due to the nature of the film (more of a kids film/lower budget) so we'll see but the franchise still averaging 320/819 un-adjusted through 6 films.

Of course ... the argument could be made that if ALL the films were competently made, those box office #s would probably be over 400/1+ billion ... as characters like Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman should have a high end much more than where they're at right now.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Combination of DC stigma and Disney drilling brand loyalty forvthe MCU into audiences. WB fucked up so much after TDKR... They can't afford a single screw up between now and Batman. If they keep delivering well-liked movies and Batman hits it out of the park, then they can start buikding another big team-up, to rival The Avengers. But that is a long way away at the moment...

as it should be. they are in this situation cause they tried to achieve overnight what their main competitor did with years of patience and planning. But they've learned so they are course correcting which is good.

I think Shazam will hit at least 50M. reviews are very strong and WOM should be too. Could be more walk-up driven and PS.

• Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Of course ... the argument could be made that if ALL the films were competently made, those box office #s would probably be over 400/1+ billion ... as characters like Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman should have a high end much more than where they're at right now.

A well made Flash film from the game night guys with a charismatic lead actor could do like $800m-$900m+ WW

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

There is a stigma at times, but at the end of the day in spite of it, most people are still going to the movies (ESPECIALLY if they're good) ... box office proves it ... WW domestic # is better than Civil War and every Iron Man solo movie ... and will likely finish ahead of CM ... Aquaman worldwide is higher than any film from Marvel that's not either Black Panther or a film featuring Iron Man. 

Shazam is tricky due to the nature of the film (more of a kids film/lower budget) so we'll see but the franchise still averaging 320/819 un-adjusted through 6 films.

Agreed but I’m still worried for Shazam even though it’s really good. I hope I’m wrong and it does amazing cause it really deserves it. I understand expectations have to be in line with the budget and marketing etc, I just hope it performs well enough. 

As a DC fan Im really interested in the film´s performance. I agree that the marketing lacked one OMG moment but beside that its been really on point. The first trailer has a view count around Aquaman´s this close to release and the buzz is just super strong.

Im a fan of the release window myself. As a German I always wonder about worldwide totals and Shazam has one big global launch week in all (big) markets besides Japan(2 weeks later). the web worldwide will talk about Shazam and that could push the performance from market to market.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Watchman89 said:

As a DC fan Im really interested in the film´s performance. I agree that the marketing lacked one OMG moment but beside that its been really on point. The first trailer has a view count around Aquaman´s this close to release and the buzz is just super strong.

Im a fan of the release window myself. As a German I always wonder about worldwide totals and Shazam has one big global launch week in all (big) markets besides Japan(2 weeks later). the web worldwide will talk about Shazam and that could push the performance from market to market.

Welcome to the forums.

Also, from your username I can tell you're probably looking forward to the HBO DC show out later this year too?

1 hour ago, TMP said:

A well made Flash film from the game night guys with a charismatic lead actor could do like $800m-$900m+ WW

China would go for The flash pretty hard if it had good visuals which i assume it would i still like ezra miller. Seems Ezra is done with the flash though which is sad but maybe they get someone more younger looking. 

Edited by Wotad

3 minutes ago, Wotad said:

China would go for The flash pretty hard if it had good visuals which i assume it would i still like ezra miller. Seems Ezra is done with the flash though which is sad but maybe they get someone more younger looking. 

Maybe they can get someone with actual charisma

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The entire Shazam main cast and Sandberg just showed up at WonderCon. Levi is just so naturally funny it’s crazy. He seems genuinely excited.

Are they doing a screening of the movie there as well this weekend? 

Edited by cax16