Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

28 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don't know if it was the marketing or the release date but something feels off about a CBM with 94% on RT barely cracking $50M OW in this day and age. Also Im not hating on the film. I know that regardless of what it does it'll be a success because of the budget but I think it's fair for folks to ask what could have been. Who knows maybe this will surprise this weekend but from a tracking stand point, I am actually kinda bummed that it is tracking so low (domestically). And I dont know if it was the marketing (we did only get ONE trailer from summer until 2019) or if the release date killed it (people hyped about End Game and still watching Captain Marvel). 

I still think this movie could have been something special at the box office ala a mini Deadpool if given a better release date and/or marketing campaign. *It still could be but it is looking less likely as each day passes* 

Also who knows maybe the GA just isn't here for this character so regardless of release date or marketing, it would have done the same but again my feelings about this have more to do with the fact that its a very well received CBM and it sucks that its box office results may not reflect that given how well CBM have been doing lately. 

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying with regards to the release date but I think marketing has been fine. The marketing seemed to be geared a lot more towards families in the case of this movie.

With regards to the release date I for sure think another time could of lead to a bigger domestic total but overseas I’m not sure now. After seeing Shazam a few weeks ago I thought it could be universally liked but after seeing reception in the SK thread and even after the premier in China from Gavin’s comments it’s obvious this isn’t hitting the mark for some of the Asian markets. Which of course is fine as we all have different tastes but I didn’t expect reception to be so poor there.

So in this case release date doesn’t matter much there when the audience doesn’t enjoy the movie hehe. We’ll have to see reception from the rest of the overseas market this weekend.

I’m hoping this can do Wonder Woman overseas numbers minus 30% which would be around 280m overseas. 

Edited by cax16

20 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don't know if it was the marketing or the release date but something feels off about a CBM with 94% on RT barely cracking $50M OW in this day and age. Also Im not hating on the film. I know that regardless of what it does it'll be a success because of the budget but I think it's fair for folks to ask what could have been. Who knows maybe this will surprise this weekend but from a tracking stand point, I am actually kinda bummed that it is tracking so low (domestically). And I dont know if it was the marketing (we did only get ONE trailer from summer until 2019) or if the release date killed it (people hyped about End Game and still watching Captain Marvel). 

I still think this movie could have been something special at the box office ala a mini Deadpool if given a better release date and/or marketing campaign. *It still could be but it is looking less likely as each day passes* 

Also who knows maybe the GA just isn't here for this character so regardless of release date or marketing, it would have done the same but again my feelings about this have more to do with the fact that its a very well received CBM and it sucks that its box office results may not reflect that given how well CBM have been doing lately. 

Agreed! Shazam may not reap the benefits of the 94% rating, but the DC brand will. The brand is slowly recovering from its shaky start. So in the long run, the movie may serve a larger purpose for the brand than it did for itself, especially if it does decent for its budget. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Agreed! Shazam may not reap the benefits of the 94% rating, but the DC brand will. The brand is slowly recovering from its shaky start. So in the long run, the movie may serve a larger purpose for the brand than it did for itself, especially if it does decent for its budget. 

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

They can always use the reverse of the "it's made for fans!!" and say "It was made for the critics!". Idk, still hoping for $50-60m. Seeing it in 3 hours.

As much as the critic score means nothing to me it does a lot for the brand overall especially domestically in the long run for sure. 

Most fans I’ve interacted with have loved the movie so that helps going forward as well. 

This doesn’t have to be a huge money maker but I wish it was cause I liked it so much. 

This has simply gotten lost in the shuffle in between the much bigger deals that are Captain Marvel and especially Endgame. I'm fully expecting this to post similar numbers to Ant-Man at best but even those would be fine considering the budget.

9 minutes ago, DAR said:

I think the marketing has been fine for this.   Especially compared to another comic book property arriving the week after.

Hellboy apparently isn't screening before it comes out. All we need to know really.

If anything if this does around the $400M it reaffirms Hamada's strategy of releasing both your normal $150M+ budget superhero films but also sub $100M Budgeted superhero films depending on the characters they choose. Hopefully this won't discourage WB/DC to continue to make more DC films about some of the more obscure DC characters. 

52 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Oh I 100% agree. I mean its better that Shazam is great than it make a ton of money and not be great. Hopefully it can develop great WOM amongst the GA and even if this specific movie doesn't do gangbusters at the box office, it should set up the sequel to do really well. 

My original comment is honestly just thinking of what could have been (maybe it still breaks out?) Again the movie will be a success regardless and it being well received is a cherry on the top. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

If anything if this does around the $400M it reaffirms Hamada's strategy of releasing both your normal $150M+ budget superhero films but also sub $100M Budgeted superhero films depending on the characters they choose. Hopefully this won't discourage WB/DC to continue to make more DC films about some of the more obscure DC characters. 

Looking at overseas numbers it’s pretty  obvious this won’t be big but Joker could potentially make a lot more on an even smaller budget so hopefully it even things out overall for Hamada.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This has simply gotten lost in the shuffle in between the much bigger deals that are Captain Marvel and especially Endgame. I'm fully expecting this to post similar numbers to Ant-Man at best but even those would be fine considering the budget.

Hellboy apparently isn't screening before it comes out. All we need to know really.

I guess that explains why David Harbour signed onto Black Widow.

As for Shazzam I could see something in the 140's domestic and maybe 400-450.

I just dont think selling a CBM towards "kids/families" is the right strategy. How many families with mom dad and their 2 kids go to see a CBM together?
CBM as of today is more towards couples and group of friends going together. And how many groups of friends wants to see a "family/kids" movie.

I just think they havent been selling the movie correctly. that and beeing squished between 2 MCU Juggernauts is just gonna lead to its "downfall".
I'm thinking 300-400 WW atm. 150 dom, 70 china and 150 os-china for a total of 370 WW.

I just hope a sub 400 WW (if it happens) wont discourage WB to go ahead with Black Adam and eventually Shazam/black Adam movie.

In my local theather in Norway has sold 53/600 on friday (opening day)

Edited by Essem

5 minutes ago, Essem said:

I just dont think selling a CBM towards "kids/families" is the right strategy. How many families with mom dad and their 2 kids go to see a CBM together?
CBM as of today is more towards couples and group of friends going together. And how many groups of friends wants to see a "family/kids" movie.

I just think they havent been selling the movie correctly. that and beeing squished between 2 MCU Juggernauts is just gonna lead to its "downfall".
I'm thinking 300-400 WW atm. 150 dom, 70 china and 150 os-china for a total of 370 WW.

I just hope a sub 400 WW (if it happens) wont discourage WB to go ahead with Black Adam and eventually Shazam/black Adam movie.

My wife and I take our two kids to see basically every comic book movie and there are always tons of couples with kids at showings as well. So not sure I agree with your point there.

Maybe the marketing skewed to young for the genre? That I don’t know, but I think this has more to do with being sandwiched between two huge movies and overall so far reception hasn’t been too great overseas from certain markets. 

We know the movie has critical praise from RT here but we don’t have a cinemascore yet from audiences domestically. 

I don’t see how WB wouldn’t of known most of this stuff beforehand going into Shazam’s release so maybe their expectations are low? I don’t know.

We’ll have to wait and see how the weekend plays out and then go from there.