Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

Since the WB/DC strategy is now to put out such different movies, we should get used to different results as well, that can still be relative successes. This is different from Marvel which had the lowest budget at 130 million for Ant-Man, which also made "only" 510 million, the lowest after Avengers came out. Marvel will not be making a 80-100 million movie anytime soon.

With Joker for instance, I'd say it could be a megahit because it's the Joker, but if that movie makes like 250 million it will still be a very good performance.

If the movies are good and the profits warrant more of them, I'm not complaining.

The downside is that DC movies won't be "reliable", the brand won't guarantee anything. Some Marvel movies would make half the money they made without the brand.

Edited by TheUndertaker
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

wtf do you need more than that for BW & SChi solos?

I don't know how Shang-Chi will be (although the rumors that it's going to be about a tournament with many characters makes it sound big), but I think Black Widow will in fact cost at least what Ant-Man did. Her movie would probably play out much like Winter Soldier and that cost 177 million. The cast also appears to be much more costly than the Shazam cast.

Edited by TheUndertaker

Anyway, those OS results, that seemed low to some, are actually good in the proper context, Ant-Man pulled 520 M WW, Shazam ! is also ahead of CA: TFA in most markets (that made 370 M WW). 

I need to digest the film some more but there is NO reason the film can't have super comfortable and sturdy legs in the weeks to come and, I'm sorry to say to those who told me it's not, but it IS a family movie really. There are some horror elements but that are not nearly as scary as I expected from seeing reactions online, but then again, I knew it was coming. The whole film is a blast and is obviously completely centered around family (it's also a Christmas film 😉 ), and I think it'll really pop on the weekends.

It wears its heart on its sleeve, it's so honest, sincere, the humor never feels forced, it's always genuine and seriously, my jaw and cheeks were hurting from laughing so much once Freddy and Billy figure out his powers. The performances are FANTASTIC, Zachary Levi is incredible, Asher Angel is great, Jack Dylan Grazer is brilliant, Mark Strong is excellent, Faithe Herman is so fantastic, the other kids and supporting cast are very good too. 

The action is strong, obviously, it's not MOS or BvS, but for the budget, it's really really well made. And the thingies look great too hem hem. Benjamin Wallfisch's score is straight up John Williams, Alan Silvestri from the 80s, 90s and it rocks. 

It 100% is Geoff Johns' New 52 Shazam ! on the big screen, everything is lifted from it and they couldn't have gone with a better foundation. And my lord, is the third act SO SATISFYING. The whole foster family angle really makes the film stand out, it can be emotional when it needs to be, hilarious at other times, threatening and menacing when needed. The tonal balance is JUST right, Sandberg really impressed me here. I like Lights Out but it's a very forgettable film, and following him, his behind the scenes on his YT channel, his posts on Reddit, seeing how he got better and better was illustrated by Annabelle Creation which is pretty good. And now this, really cool.

The end scenes (three of them) all rock, the first one I knew about, it's awesome but it's so disappointing to know that they have another version of it 

Spoiler

with Henry in it. 

I do hope WB comes to their senses and does the right thing here for the future. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Shazam ! is also ahead of CA: TFA in most markets (that made 370 M WW).

And even if Shazam doesn't do great in China, The First Avenger had no China at all.

Doing 100 million or 60 million in China doesn't change much in the way of profit anyway, since the studio take is about 25%.

Lightest film in the DCEU (or whatever we’re supposed to call it) my ass! There were scenes in the movie that made my jaw drop on the count of how shocking they were to see. Anyone who’s seen the film can probably guess which ones I’m talking about. This is definitely not a “kiddie film” like some people may have assumed. This is a film that most definitely earned its PG-13 rating for reasons that don’t involve language or suggestive humor (though it has some of that too). 

Anyway, I enjoyed it, but by God did it get unsettling. 

• Like 2

Just saw the movie! It was absolutely hilarious, and definitely sits atop my favorite DCEU movies list. 

That said, I can actually totally understand this film being considered "childish" by foreign audiences. There were some pretty eye-popping scenes (namely the boardroom one!), and dark undertones, but I can see some of that being lost across cultures. [Like, even for the most shocking scenes, my audience didn't gasp so much as they laughed. ]

For me though, this was a great balance of levity and shock, humor and those darker connotations. Really enjoyed it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just got out of the theater. I really enjoyed this. Might be my favorite of the DCEU flicks. Zachary Levi was a pitch perfect in the title role, and I really enjoyed the references to 80s kids fantasy films like Big. I think this Aquaman, and Wonder Woman all succeed at being genuine. It's great to see a film where a superhero actually does really amazing things. Also the intended laugh out loud moments really landed.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

fify

Thread title updated.  I can't believe nobody mentioned the thread title was wrong.

WB must be big Aronofsky/JLaw fans considering what they titled this

13 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

I saw Shazam! two weeks ago at a preview screening and really enjoyed it. It's a shame that WB didn't release it in late July or early August; it would have had less competition and possibly better legs. Damn.

Should be August. Late July has TLK, which is gonna be gigantic. Early July has SM:FFH.