Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

True. I'd rather it had done more but 622 for basically zero connection to Avengers was pretty good.

Its funny how Ant man is the odd one out in the MCU movies so far as the numbers are concerned.

10 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Its funny how Ant man is the odd one out in the MCU movies so far as the numbers are concerned.

I mean it's so obscure character wise and very weird to many. I liked Ant-Man, sequel was like my 19th or 20th favorite MCU film so that surprised me none at all.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, cax16 said:

They have to move fast on this one.

They got a major problem in what happens as Billy Batson grows up? Let's face it, a grown up Shazam loses it's appeal, he becomes a poor man's imitation Superman.(which is what the original Captain Marvel often became after the first few years of the original comic).I just don't think you can handle the charecters growing up as simply as you could in the Potter franchise (which is a bad comparasion IMHO).

Now if they could do an angle where Batson grows up, but Shazam remains basically a Kid, that could be interesting.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I mean it's so obscure character wise and very weird to many. I liked Ant-Man, sequel was like my 19th or 20th favorite MCU film so that surprised me none at all.

Wait until Marvel  makes the Squirrel Girl movie.

Actually, properly handled, a Great Lakes Avengers movie could be drop dead funny as the GLA comic series was. A film about the people who were at the end of the line when the superpowers were being passed out and ended up with the leftovers could be great material.

5 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Even that's silly. 400 million for Shazam is probably about as profitable as Ant Man. 

Going purely by budget proportion, if Shazam makes 390 million it's as successful as Ant-Man.

But even then Shazam had lower marketing budget for sure, and Ant-Man was heavily reliant on China where they only get about 25% of the box office.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheUndertaker said:

Going purely by budget proportion, if Shazam makes 390 million it's as successful as Ant-Man.

But even then Shazam had lower marketing budget for sure, and Ant-Man was heavily reliant on China where they only get about 25% of the box office.

No argument here hence why if it makes it to 400 I'm literally comfortable saying it was more successful than Antman. If it does I would imagine it's due to great legs in US and great a in a few other 40% take countries. It's basically dead in China, they are hardcore when it comes to reducing theater count. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

They have to move fast on this one.

They got a major problem in what happens as Billy Batson grows up? Let's face it, a grown up Shazam loses it's appeal, he becomes a poor man's imitation Superman.(which is what the original Captain Marvel often became after the first few years of the original comic).I just don't think you can handle the charecters growing up as simply as you could in the Potter franchise (which is a bad comparasion IMHO).

Now if they could do an angle where Batson grows up, but Shazam remains basically a Kid, that could be interesting.

Asher Angel looks the same as he does in the film, he's gonna be fine. Jack Dylan Grazer looks pretty much the same too, just taller (they had to use an apple box for him to stand on for some of the reshoots), it's more pressing for kids like Faithe Herman. But I wouldn't be surprised if they started shooting later this year or early 2020.

Also, Kingdom Come has Billy basically as an adult turning into Shazam ! That worked fine

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

We all know that Shazam underperformed because the people who predicted Alita would make a billion voted IN on the "Shazam over a billion" club. It's a curse. /s

i'm pro SHAZAM,but whoever think shazam can join billionaire club, is a bit delusional....lol

5 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

37%

Would that be the best hold for a SH movie ever, 2002 Raimi Spider Man did -37.8% and without the big previews of today.

The best legs for the genre were

WW made -43.3, Black Panther -44.7%, Spider Man 2 -48.7, Avengers -50, Dark Knight -52.5%,

Isn't -50% great for a movie like this ? Much better than say a Guardian of the Galaxy (and that had great multiplier).

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Would that be the best hold for a SH movie ever, 2002 Raimi Spider Man did -37.8% and without the big previews of today.

The best legs for the genre were

WW made -43.3, Black Panther -44.7%, Spider Man 2 -48.7, Avengers -50, Dark Knight -52.5%,

Isn't -50% great for a movie like this ? Much better than say a Guardian of the Galaxy (and that had great multiplier).

aquaman drops 23%

lego batman drops 38.4% 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

aquaman drops 23%

lego batman drops 38.4% 

Should not put too much weight in December release, Poppins made +20 that weekend, bumblebee -3.5% and Spider Man +14%.

Lego batman was on President days weekend with an unrealistic Sunday hold and used a 270% friday jump to reach that, is it really realistic to Shazam to beat that ?

-37% is close to last April A Quiet Place.

At least it will have about 0 competition to help.

• Like 1