Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

So is that 90s costume look intentional, because I don't get it at all.

Seems like they tried to find a way to get their superheroes on the big screen with a much lower budget here, which could work quite well as a superhero comedy, unless there are bigger things to come and the effects are just not there yet to show those scenes in the trailer.

It looked interesting, but doesnät work quite yet with the trailer.

• Like 1

The trailer went over really well with the crowd today in Hall H. It also helps that Zachery Levi is SDCC Royalty with his NerdHQ. People here just like him. 

I personally want to see more. I thought the first half of the trailer was concerning, felt way too serious for Shazam. This is also a personal peeve, but I rolled my eyes so hard at the cinematography color palette. Like. The DCEU just can’t help themselves.

(I went on a whole spiral of is this some Stylized Choice Saying The World is Dark and Shazam is a beacon of light to the kids and that is why his costume is so bright compared to the rest of the frame?)

I thought the second half of the trailer was WAY stronger, and found its groove. Shazam/Levi looks like he’s having a blast and it shows. The jokes and set ups land beautifully. I like this. I can totally get behind this. 

So what movie are we gonna see?  

Idk, this looks equally as bad as Aquaman.  Seems like they wanted to go with a PG-13 anti-hero type of thing.  Idk what this covers that something like Ant-Man, SMH or Deadpool hasn’t already done.

Edited by Pandamia!

3 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Idk, this looks equally as bad as Aquaman.  Seems like they wanted to go with a PG-13 anti-hero type of thing.  Idk what this covers that something like Ant-Man, SMH or Deadpool hasn’t already done.

Anti-hero? Wah?

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Anti-hero? Wah?

Anti-hero is probably the wrong word.  I’m thinking more of those “satiring the genre” characters, and the Holland Spidey Who is a “coming of age” superhero.

Idk, this just seemed boring.  Not the campy fun I was hoping for.

7 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Anti-hero is probably the wrong word.  I’m thinking more of those “satiring the genre” characters, and the Holland Spidey Who is a “coming of age” superhero.

Idk, this just seemed boring.  Not the campy fun I was hoping for.

That's more fair I guess. Really worked for me tho, and I was not expecting it to work for me at all. Tonally confident

I am actually curious to see how this will do. I think this could pull in better numbers at the box office than what we might initially expect. 

If its well received, I could actually see it pulling Homecoming numbers tbh 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Chewy said:

So how big does this have to be for them to cancel the grimdark Rock villain movie and just make him the villain in Shazam 2?

The Rock should do Shazam 2 and eventually join The Legion of Doom in Justice League 2 and then maybe get a solo prequel somewhere down the line.

I'd have to say I didn't expect anything from this at all, but it has me sold. I think it looks great and a lot of fun. It's a shame that it's literally sandwiched between 2 MCU films. It'll never survive at the box office there. I say move it to December and delay Aquaman to 2019. This looks so much better