Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

50 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

As great a fit as Zachary Levi seems for the part, and as much as I love him from NBC’s Chuck, he doesn’t have star power. These low-tier superhero’s need bankable leads to bring in casual audiences.

Not really. Mamoa was never a bankable star before Aquaman and had only played parts in movies that bombed. Superhero movies are so popular as a genre that the actor really can be almost a nobody as long as he fits the tone they want for the movie.

Edited by LordNox

16 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

As great a fit as Zachary Levi seems for the part, and as much as I love him from NBC’s Chuck, he doesn’t have star power. These low-tier superhero’s need bankable leads to bring in casual audiences.

Like Hemsworth and Evans were when their first solo films became solid hits? And no, sorry, but neither Captain America nor Thor were "A-tier superheroes" to mainstream audiences back then, and the MCU was still not the powerhouse it is today. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Not really. Mamoa was never a bankable star before Aquaman and had only played parts in movies that bombed. Det he har ni problem succeeding in a superhero movie. Superhero movies are so popular as a genre that the actor really can be almost a nobody as long as he fits the tone they want for the movie.

Exactly, and neither was Gadot when Wonder Woman smashed. And DCEU was still seen as a wobbly endeavor. However, I have to remind you that neither Wonder Woman nor Aquaman were low-tier when those films came out. Yes, Aquaman was pretty much a joke, but mainstream audiences were well acquainted with the character, even if just for its reputation as "lame" or whatnot.  Not that it matters anyway, since a character being iconic does not guarantee that their films will be hits.

As for the trailer: it was FABNTASTIC.

Loved it to pieces and I am confident that this film is going to be a crowd-pleasing smash.

Another win for the DCEU.

22 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

No. What matters is nailing the casting and getting the best actor/actress for the part. Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, Jason Mamoa were not A-listers by any stretch of the imagination and look at them now. Brie Larson was an Oscar winner but she wasn’t some A-list bankable star when she was cast as Captain Marvel and now her movie is gonna do gangbusters. 

These CBMs sell themselves as long as the studio gets the casting correct and makes a good movie. You don’t need some A-list bankable star to sell these films. 

• Like 2

Wonder Woman/Aquaman were far from low tier superhero, they were mid-tier and up.

Cap America, Thor, 65m OW are better example, but those were 200m and more budget movies with the trailers and promotion that come with that also but in the other sense SH popularity changed since.

So do you guys think Eminem was paid or is he just really excited? I think it's the former since I have never seen any other artist post a trailer for a movie on their YouTube channel and instagram page just because it features a song by them. It's not even an original song for the movie and he didn't even do this for Venom (which featured his iconic "VENNOOMM!!" song).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So do you guys think Eminem was paid or is he just really excited? I think it's the former since I have never seen any other artist post a trailer for a movie on their YouTube channel and instagram page just because it features a song by them. It's not even an original song for the movie and he didn't even do this for Venom (which featured his iconic "VENNOOMM!!" song).

It's not like Eminem hasn't done this before.  He posted the Despicable Me 3 trailer when his song was featured in it.

And of course he was paid lol, you can't use someone's song in a trailer/movie without the artist's permission

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was sold after the first trailer so I’m not watching this. It’s funny reading some of these comments, it’s almost like it’s never enough for some of you. 

As I said last week this doesn’t need to be huge to be a winner for WB, As long as it’s good that’s what matters going forward. 

Edited by cax16
  • Thanks 1