Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

41 minutes ago, TMP said:

2019’s Edge of Tomorrow?

Not that low but at best I could see this making $500M, which good for the budget I guess. It just won’t be this major blockbuster like the May 2019 lineup or previous DCEU films.

I’m still surprised at the low views. 

Shazam is not an iconic superhero (which does not help in terms of initial buzz), the marketing has not been exactly stellar, and the DCEU is nowhere the sure-fire powerhouse clicks-and-views magnet that the MCU is. Even without Infinity-War-level YT views, this can still become a huge breakout if it truly connects with families, which I suspect it will.

You guys should go back to the Aquaman thread and we’ll see almost the same comments when Aquamans last trailer dropped. 

Not that I think this is doing anywhere near Aquamans numbers WW but trailer views and DC movies haven’t meant that much overall. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Not that low but at best I could see this making $500M, which good for the budget I guess. It just won’t be this major blockbuster like the May 2019 lineup or previous DCEU films.

I’m still surprised at the low views. 

No, I meant as a great big budget film which didn’t do a lot because of poor/low marketing a la EoT

2 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Only 3.2M views on the main channel 

Yes but the combined viewing if you count eminem and other channels who have put the Shazam trailer on is over 6M. Still pretty low but better. 

Shazam is not going to do much more than ant man at best. WB knew this which is why the budget is low enough for WB to earn a profit even if Shazam only does ok.

The goal for WB is to make Shazam a good movie, make the Shazam character more well known and then make much more from a sequel starring the rock as the villain. The first movie was never going to make much, the prize is the sequel.

Edited by LordNox
  • Like 2

The 3-minute sneak peek of the movie is out on twitter. It is an extended version of the scene where adult Billy Batson first meets Freddie. Looks good. It posted it below inside the spoiler tag. Doesn't reveal anything important but don't watch it if you want to go in blank.

Spoiler

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

Isn’t the budget minuscule here, atleast compared to other superhero movies. Doesn’t need to make that much to profit and get a sequel. Maybe 400m is all that’s needed. 

The only prboem shazam is facing is to not get lost in the crowd when Endgame market Ramps in the weeks after Captain Marvel releases. So far Endgame marketing is very heavy and emotional, an of course there’s going to be action in it. So Shazam’s best bet is to play up the character comedy Which they are doing a good job of. 

8 hours ago, LordNox said:

Yes but the combined viewing if you count eminem and other channels who have put the Shazam trailer on is over 6M. Still pretty low but better. 

Shazam is not going to do much more than ant man at best. WB knew this which is why the budget is low enough for WB to earn a profit even if Shazam only does ok.

The goal for WB is to make Shazam a good movie, make the Shazam character more well known and then make much more from a sequel starring the rock as the villain. The first movie was never going to make much, the prize is the sequel.

Well said. Ant-Man is actually a good comparison, both for the movie and the character and his popularity level.

• Like 1