Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This is shaping up to become another massive success for the Zack Snyder-created DCEU franchise. Comic book movies are on fire. Captain Marvel and Endgame are sure to break records, Spider-kid 2 will probably be good too, and there's still Dark Phoenix and The Joker which are also very promising.

More like the Zack Snyder emancipated DC...er...multiverse? 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This is shaping up to become another massive success for the Zack Snyder-created DCEU franchise.

Well, let's not get too carried away. The only two DC films that are as beloved by audiences as well-regarded by film critics are substantially different, tonally, aesthetically, and narratively, from the very distinctive world that Snyder created and established in MOS and BvS. Wonder Woman and Aquaman were bright and hopeful, and they adhered closely to the comic book essence of both characters. And Shazam, which is getting advanced raves,  looks as close to an MCU film as DC will ever get (and let's not get it twisted, the MCUverse is the spiritual opposite of the Sniderverse) 

I don't agree with most of what Napoleon says but stop with the nonsense about WB making Marvel movies now. Shazam isn't a Marvel movie, it's a DC movie. Marvel doesn't own blockbusters with humor. Plently of Blockbusters with humor were made before Marvel Studios ever released one single film. 

Of course I do agree that Zack Snyder does not deserve credit for this turn around. He had his good ideas and his casting was fine but his terrible ideas almost sunk DC on film completely. Foregoing likable protagonists, humor and heart was an awful idea that thankfully is being rectified now.

Shazam being developed by New Line rather than Warner Bros likely meant it could be separate on any of the issues going on behind the scenes. Toby Emmerich when he was at New Line wanted it to be an alternative to what WB was doing,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's not longer than Wonder Woman and Aquaman so why even comment on the runtime as if something new happened? Seems like a pretty standard runtime to me. 

Those were somewhat epic story.

After seeing tons of reactions last night not one person mentioned anything about the movie being too long, I really don’t think the runtime will be an issue for anyone if they’re enjoying themselves. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cax16 said:

After seeing tons of reactions last night not one person mentioned anything about the movie being too long, I really don’t think the runtime will be an issue for anyone if they’re enjoying themselves. 

Audience are now quite use to long movies anyway right ?, even comedy.

I also doubt it will be an issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's not longer than Wonder Woman and Aquaman so why even comment on the runtime as if something new happened? Seems like a pretty standard runtime to me. 

It’s just weird how this movie is apparently 12 minutes longer than the Justice League movie, and longer than Captain Marvel. 

38 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s just weird how this movie is apparently 12 minutes longer than the Justice League movie, and longer than Captain Marvel. 

Justice League was capped by WB to 2 hours. Probably because they lost hope of the movie being any good and wanted it as short as possible. 

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Justice League was a clusterfuck.  Captain Marvel has nothing to do with this conversation as it is a Disney movie and has nothing to do with how WB/New Line handles their Superhero movies. Also runtimes always includes the credits. I just don't see why a film that is probably slightly over 2 hours without credits is a big deal? Are people's attention spans so short?

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1