Jump to content
Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | Zachary Levi cast as Shazam. David F Sandberg directing | Certified Fresh on RT

Recommended Posts

Trailer was cute and had a good reaction at my CM screening.  Still looks like a kids movie to me, but a good kids movie, which is harder to do than I think people really acknowledge.  Not something I feel a need to rush out and see, but maybe on Vudu or something.  Good to see them trying something new!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Apr.5 or Apr.12.

 

5th is best because of 3-day holidays of Qingming festival from Apr.5 to Apr.7

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Also according to early reactions on Twitter, I see the chance that Shazam hit $150M in China. Praising for the family elements really make me feel confident for it.

I have a feeling that Shazam! is going to gross more then Captain Marvel in China. MCU has a bigger brand and fanbase in China than DCEU, but both Shazam and CM are new-comers. I can totally see how they can relate better to Shazam! than CM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Months ago this had $700M potential, crazy to see it slowly lose steam.

After the social media reactions, I can only see the number go up instead of down. With reviews likely gonna be great and China lapping up all SH movies of late, 700 is entirely possible. 

 

PS: this was one of the only 2 trailers I got in front of Captain Marvel. There were a few chuckles and some chatter conpared to the utter disinterest at the hellboy trailer

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, justvision said:

I have a feeling that Shazam! is going to gross more then Captain Marvel in China. MCU has a bigger brand and fanbase in China than DCEU, but both Shazam and CM are new-comers. I can totally see how they can relate better to Shazam! than CM.

Doesn't the success of Aquaman in China prove that the brand thing is overrated there? I don't think the Chinese really care about that by a large. The reason that Marvel usually does better than DC in China is less about brand and more about Marvel generally having made better movies. Same reason why Marvel usually outsells DC in the US as well. But when DC do make a good and well received movie the audiences doesn't really care that it isn't a Marvel movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Doesn't the success of Aquaman in China prove that the brand thing is overrated there? I don't think the Chinese really care about that by a large. The reason that Marvel usually does better than DC in China is less about brand and more about Marvel generally having made better movies. Same reason why Marvel usually outsells DC in the US as well. But when DC do make a good and well received movie the audiences doesn't really care that it isn't a Marvel movie.

The success of Aquaman did not disprove the bigger brand of MCU. Being a bigger brand means MCU can draw in bigger crowd in the opening week for example, so that if the good WOM spreads they are able to go on to achieve higher total gross. E.g  Ant-Man and the Wasp would not have done as well if it were not in DC rather than MCU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, justvision said:

The success of Aquaman did not disprove the bigger brand of MCU. Being a bigger brand means MCU can draw in bigger crowd in the opening week for example, so that if the good WOM spreads they are able to go on to achieve higher total gross. E.g  Ant-Man and the Wasp would not have done as well if it were not in DC rather than MCU.

But the quality of the movie is much more important. Look at RT and Cinemascore and almost every Marvel movie is rated much higher than almost all DC movies. Of course such large gaps in quality will lead to a big gap in box office numbers as well.

 

If ever DC start making movies that are comperable in quality to Marvel i expect any box office gap will be minimal between them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Also according to early reactions on Twitter, I see the chance that Shazam hit $150M in China. Praising for the family elements really make me feel confident for it.

Like I said, it should do well overseas, my final prediction is $700M worldwide.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They played the Shazam trailer before Captain Marvel and I tried to explain to my friends that Shazam originally had the name Captain Marvel and then Marvel took the name for their character. They just thought I went crazy.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

wonder woman  number is my expection for shazam in China.around 90-100m.Aquaman is more like jame Wan underwater fast and Furious adventure for Chinese.Not just superhero.Furious7 did $390m.James Wan did a lot apart in Aquaman OS number.DC may benefit a bit from Aquaman.but not 150m big from it.MCU has Huge fanbase in China.DC is just a Starter.Many audiences don't know DC brand.Aquaman is first DC film for most audiences.

Edited by SliverS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, LordNox said:

But the quality of the movie is much more important. Look at RT and Cinemascore and almost every Marvel movie is rated much higher than almost all DC movies. Of course such large gaps in quality will lead to a big gap in box office numbers as well.

 

If ever DC start making movies that are comperable in quality to Marvel i expect any box office gap will be minimal between them. 

I did not say at all that quality is not important. In fact in my original post I said "MCU has a bigger brand and fanbase in China than DCEU, but Shazam! may do better than CM in China" because they can "relate better to Shazam! than CM" (implying than Shazam! have certain quality attracting Chinese audience more than CM).

 

Then you came in and start talking about quality as if brand and quality of movies are mutually exclusive. In fact they are quite related: having many good quality products (much more than poor quality products) over the years build up the brand. As you yourself said, over the years Marvel Studio produced many moure better quality movies than DC, so how can MCU/Marvel Studio not be a bigger brand than DC?

 

Conversely, if Marvel Studio starts producing lower quality movies after Endgame (I quite heavily criticised CM in its Marvel spoiler thread), and DC keeps producing good blockbuster like Aquaman, there is entirely possible (though not guaranteed) DC may become a bigger brand in 5 years time in China and elsewhere.

Edited by justvision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Heat Vision said:

This still doesn't have a China release date.

I guess Shazam will get a release date next weekdays.SARFT haven't announce April film date yet.The recent date is Dumbo March 29.

Edited by SliverS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WB seems incredibly confident in this. Legitimately can't remember the last time a big budget film had this many critics screenings this early. Inception? They seem to just want every critic to see it, so I legitimately wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being the best reviewed funnybook film of 2019 tbqh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Shazam really do that well in China? Its not an CGI or action heavy movie. Far removed from the likes of Venom or Aquaman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justvision said:

I did not say at all that quality is not important. In fact in my original post I said "MCU has a bigger brand and fanbase in China than DCEU, but Shazam! may do better than CM in China" because they can "relate better to Shazam! than CM" (implying than Shazam! have certain quality attracting Chinese audience more than CM).

 

Then you came in and start talking about quality as if brand and quality of movies are mutually exclusive. In fact they are quite related: having many good quality products (much more than poor quality products) over the years build up the brand. As you yourself said, over the years Marvel Studio produced many moure better quality movies than DC, so how can MCU/Marvel Studio not be a bigger brand than DC?

 

Conversely, if Marvel Studio starts producing lower quality movies after Endgame (I quite heavily criticised CM in its Marvel spoiler thread), and DC keeps producing good blockbuster like Aquaman, there is entirely possible (though not guaranteed) DC may become a bigger brand in 5 years time in China and elsewhere.

I guess what my point is that if brand was super important wouldn't every Marvel movie automatically make more than every DC movie? If brand was important it would be near impossible for Aquaman to outgross every Marvel solo movie in China as it did. In the end the Chinese obviously cared nothing about the brand and instead made a DC movie their biggest solo superhero movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I guess what my point is that if brand was super important wouldn't every Marvel movie automatically make more than every DC movie? If brand was important it would be near impossible for Aquaman to outgross every Marvel solo movie in China as it did. In the end the Chinese obviously cared nothing about the brand and instead made a DC movie their biggest solo superhero movie.

Your mindset is black and white. Brand is important, but who say it is super important or all important to the exclusion of quality? You keep bringing up strawman fallacy to put words in my mouth. Have fun talking to yourself and your own strawmen or bogeymen. Done with you.

Edited by justvision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Will Shazam really do that well in China? Its not a CGI or action heavy movie. Far removed from the likes of Venom or Aquaman.

:kitschjob:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

:kitschjob:

Venom was super popular in China. The American movies that do great in china are usually big action feasts and Shazam doesn't fit in with that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Venom was super popular in China. The American movies that do great in china are usually big action feasts and Shazam doesn't fit in with that much.

That was also quite literally a movie where he doesn't become Venom until 40 min-an hour into it. Plus, the full body "suit up" setpieces occur sparsely between plenty of Tom Hardy with some black goop here & there. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.