Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

11 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Venom was super popular in China. The American movies that do great in china are usually big action feasts and Shazam doesn't fit in with that much.

Except... Venom was a campfest (a very well done one at that) and not exactly an action spectacle for the ages.

Also, Coco broke out due to its themes of family like Shazam seems to have, so you never know.

1 hour ago, LordNox said:

Will Shazam really do that well in China? Its not an CGI or action heavy movie. Far removed from the likes of Venom or Aquaman.

Venom wasn't action heavy, and far less of a CGI fest than the average superhero blockbuster. A relatively low budget made sure of that.

As for Shazam (similar in this respect only), Gavin usually makes good guesses/long range predictions for the Chinese box office. If he thinks a mini-breakout is possible, then I trust his judgement over mine or yours.

43 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'll be surprised if WB doesn't turn this into a big box office hit. It's a comic book movie with critical praise and the response to the trailers have been great.

Many are questioning the buzz of Shazam and argue there is a lack of interest. I think Shazam is exciting to speculate. It isn't a typical MCU movie where you just know beforehand that the movie will be a hit. There is a question mark if Shazam will break out or not. I think its impossible for Shazam to bomb but its possible that it only becomes an ok success, like Ant Man for example. 

44 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Many are questioning the buzz of Shazam and argue there is a lack of interest. I think Shazam is exciting to speculate. It isn't a typical MCU movie where you just know beforehand that the movie will be a hit. There is a question mark if Shazam will break out or not. I think its impossible for Shazam to bomb but its possible that it only becomes an ok success, like Ant Man for example. 

They say that about every DC movie. DC movies are usually underestimated around here.

Many questioned Wonder Woman and Aquaman's buzz as well. That didn't mean shit at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong I doubt Shazam does as well as those films but people tend to underestimate non Zack Snyder DC films until the last second. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Galactic Specter said:

I think Shazam will do well for it's budget  

$50m OW  

$250 DOM 

$500-600 WW 

5x multiplier? Not happening. I mean, I could totally see it reaching $250M domestic, but it would need a bigger opening weekend.

Really curious as to how people are reacting to Shazam trailers in theatres. We know they are keeping a lid on most of the things that reviewers and early watchers are raving about so we will watch the movie regardless. But as a standalone, how is the marketing faring to draw in people who don't follow the geek internet hoopla?

8 hours ago, 2kt09 said:

Spoiler tags please. I hate how WB merchandise spoiled so much of the third act; especially since the film-makers clearly don't want it out - hence the trailers not spoiling those components 

14 hours ago, Napoleon said:

They say that about every DC movie. DC movies are usually underestimated around here.

With good reason for this one. Trailer sells it as a comedy and it looks like a TV show.