Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

3 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

For anyone doubting about less foreign turnout for a lesser known american superhero comedy I give you freaking Ant-Man movies and Gotg.

FFS every MCU entry can is more of less an action comedy. If Antman & Spiderman Homecoming which is through and through a dramedy (spidey doesnt even throw a punch its just web slinging) about some teenage kids can sell then Superman for kid shouldnt be a hard sell for foreign market in this era of superhero craze. 

Also I'd say that as from a non-native English speaking non-anglo market perspective that most hard time i had connecting with the jokes, banter and references exchanged around character in a big popcorn movie was IT 2018.

> White trash talking kids 

> White suburb setting

> 80s references ? damn the whole thing is in 80s

Thats as "American" u can get in a mainstream live action tentpole imo which didnt stop it to become the tentpole overseas.

That IT movie actually proved that The Stranger Thing effect is in fact real and global and it wont act as a detractor but as a heavy plus around the backdrop of usual superhero-ing.

I see it like this : If rated-R Stranger Things with Horror can work to amazing effects than Stranger Things with Superheros has the chance of catching atleast some of its thunder

Well, to your Ant Man or GOTG points... Let's not pretend they were original properties. They came out as MCU products, post-Avengers, where pretty much any such movie is guaranteed big numbers. It;s difficult to judge just how much those movies would have made in phase one, as chances are they would never even have been made in the first place, but you can't deny the brand power there, and DC just doesn't have the audience's trust the same way Marvel does atm... Maybe if they keep the streak going, they'll get there.

We'll see.

• Knock It Off 2

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Shazam has been well promoted in the UK with the carnival and various TV spots, if WB wasn't confident, they wouldn't be doing screenings and dropping the embargo

I mean WB has a habit of dropping the embargo early with DC, I'm pretty sure SS was close to as early. But this certainly doesn't look like the kind of movie that is going to elicit extremely negative reviews even if it doesn't get really positive ones. 

• ...wtf 1

28 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

....Maybe if they keep the streak going, they'll get there.

We'll see.

It will be 2023, celebrating the 10th anniversary and I can guarantee you'll still this section of the internet spouting this.

Easiest BoTheory I can ever make.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean WB has a habit of dropping the embargo early with DC, I'm pretty sure SS was close to as early. But this certainly doesn't look like the kind of movie that is going to elicit extremely negative reviews even if it doesn't get really positive ones. 

Not really. Suicide Squad's (poor acronym) embargo dropped a day before release, ditto BvS and Justice League. Wonder Woman's embargo dropped the week of.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Are you intentionally misremembering things now? SS and BvS embargo was 2 days before release with no social embargo beforehand. WW social embargo was 2 weeks before release with reviews week of release.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Are you intentionally misremembering things now? SS and BvS embargo was 2 days before release with no social embargo beforehand. WW social embargo was 2 weeks before release with reviews week of release.

I could have sworn there was already a lot of negative stuff out there leading up to opening, bc I remember a lot of us thinking it would effect OW and then being surprised when it didn't. Whatever. I highly doubt this movie is gonna get panned either way. 

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Idk  WB is still very mute when it comes to this movie’s marketing which baffling given that that’s the case with movies that turn out to be awful.

Shazam Marketing  is just fine . To fans   marketing is never  enough anyway but this is a $100M movie, it won’t have  the marketing campaign of a $200M movie.  

Edited by Manny G
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 2kt09 said:

It will be 2023, celebrating the 10th anniversary and I can guarantee you'll still this section of the internet spouting this.

Easiest BoTheory I can ever make.

Hey, I've said numerous times that I very much dislike the bias against DC. And I definitely think some sections of the internet will always have it. That's why I have stated numerous times on here that I think it's better for Shazam to have critical acclaim and good wom than for it to be box office juggernaut. But the point is, for now, WW is an unmitigated success, AQM is well-liked and a box office smash, and Shazam seems to be a critical smash. But there are still the bad apples in the bunch, and DC does need more movies under their belt that can please critics, audiences and deliver solid numbers before we can say they're on a streak.

• Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Hey, I've said numerous times that I very much dislike the bias against DC. And I definitely think some sections of the internet will always have it. That's why I have stated numerous times on here that I think it's better for Shazam to have critical acclaim and good wom than for it to be box office juggernaut. But the point is, for now, WW is an unmitigated success, AQM is well-liked and a box office smash, and Shazam seems to be a critical smash. But there are still the bad apples in the bunch, and DC does need more movies under their belt that can please critics, audiences and deliver solid numbers before we can say they're on a streak.

I'd prefer the continued juggernaut on account of another IP that hasn't really been tested outside of cartoons and something someone's grandparent might recognize as a kid. Plus, this is supposed to spinoff 2 others whilst the next 2 DC flicks on the chopping block will be so low in stakes we'll look back on Shazam in wonderment.

Can any Americans speak on how popular or well known Shazam is as a character outside if this movie?

Either in terms of DC, comic book characters or general mainstream knowledge. Do you think a lot of people recognise him by image if you showed them a picture, do they know the name etc.?

Just some thoughts would be helpful, even from just a friends and family standpoint or even just personally. 

5 minutes ago, RaidensSword said:

Can any Americans speak on how popular or well known Shazam is as a character outside if this movie?

Either in terms of DC, comic book characters or general mainstream knowledge. Do you think a lot of people recognise him by image if you showed them a picture, do they know the name etc.?

Just some thoughts would be helpful, even from just a friends and family standpoint or even just personally. 

Not well known at all. Probably only among comic book nerds. Likely to most people in North America the movie will be their initiation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RaidensSword said:

He is well known in comic circles and he's been in some animated features but overall he's not even in the top 50 I'd say with the general audience. There are many individual X-Men members who are more well known,  for example. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

Not well known at all. Probably only among comic book nerds. Likely to most people in North America the movie will be their initiation.

4 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

He is well known in comic circles and he's been in some animated features but overall he's not even in the top 50 I'd say with the general audience. There are many individual X-Men members who are more well known,  for example. 

Thank you both. I wasn't really aware of that, I thought the character was a bigger name by itself in the US at least.

15 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Shazam has been well promoted in the UK with the carnival and various TV spots, if WB wasn't confident, they wouldn't be doing screenings and dropping the embargo

Every bus stop and billboard everywhere too lol, I love to see outdoor marketing.

Plus the trailer has played with almost everything since December. 

56 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Every bus stop and billboard everywhere too lol, I love to see outdoor marketing.

Plus the trailer has played with almost everything since December. 

Didn't get the trailer with US last night, but did get the EndGame one.