Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

B- from Vishnevetsky

https://film.avclub.com/shazam-zaps-an-old-fashioned-superhero-into-a-blockbus-1833471014

But if Shazam (as the hero is now officially known) is destined to always be seen as a symbol of the bygone days of chisel-jawed heroes and mad scientists, his kid appeal is timeless. Shazam!, which marks the character’s return to the big screen some 78 years after the Witney serial, positions itself as a blast for a different past—directed not only at actual kids of a certain age, but also at the inner 10-year-olds of grown-up viewers raised on ’80s hits like Big (which gets an homage in a toy-store sequence) and Gremlins (from which it borrows a Christmastime setting). As such, it continues the vein of the most recent DC Comics adaptation, Aquaman, breaking with the Strum-und-Grit approach that characterized Zack Snyder’s shepherding of the franchise; if DC movies can’t offer the sweeping arcs and conflicts of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, they can at least be forgettably fun.

It might even be read as a commentary on DC’s attempt at rushing into an Avengers-style crossover film with the lamentable Justice League. But while the story of an extremely overpowered champion rising to challenge a one-dimensionally sinister baddie might seem like the epitome of simplicity, Shazam! is still a modern-day tentpole blockbuster, overburdened with backstories for both hero and villain and subtexts that it can’t (or won’t) fully articulate—occasional gunk in the gears of what might otherwise be a fast-moving machine.

sounds like a good enough time.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Michael Seng Wah said:

Critics Consensus: An effortlessly entertaining blend of humor and heart, Shazam! is a superhero movie that never forgets the genre's real power: joyous wish fulfillments.

That’s a great consensus 

28 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I hope so!!!

I want him to direct this:

958487.jpg

I really want Peele to stay with horror instead :) 

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

That would be awesome, but something tells me that Endgame will take it. 

Nah.

IW ended up at 85 %, and nothing indicates that the Russos will do anything, creatively speaking, that majorly deviates from their incredibly successful formula/template. The CBMs that tend to get these 90 % Fresh-plus rave reviews lately are usually films that seem to add something relatively fresh to the formula (Wonder Woman, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Shazam

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Nah.

IW ended up at 85 %, and nothing indicates that the Russos will do anything, creatively speaking, that majorly deviates from their incredibly successful formula/template. The CBMs that tend to get these 90 % Fresh-plus rave reviews lately are usually films that seem to add something relatively fresh to the formula (Wonder Woman, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Shazam

Endgame looks more like an episode of The Leftovers than another Avengers film. That should help it, but the 3 hour running time rumour concerns me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s a great consensus 

I really want Peele to stay with horror instead :) 

I know what you mean, but I can totally see Vixen having certain elements from horror, especially in relation to certain African deities/spirits that may be connected to her origin. In any case, it's just wishful thinking; I don't think he has any interest in CBMs anyway...

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Zack Snyder truly was cancer for this franchise. Absolutely amazing to see the results of the three films he wasn't really involved in vs the rest. 

Man of steel after 5 years still the best film of this universe... the real problem is WB not Zack Snyder

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Zack Snyder truly was cancer for this franchise. Absolutely amazing to see the results of the three films he wasn't really involved in vs the rest. 

Well, technically, you should say "the results of the three films he wasn't directly involved in," since he was tangentially involved with Wonder Woman. But yeah, I absolutely agree.

It is what it is now, but man, the mind reels when I think how massive a properly conceived, properly executed Justice League would have been...

• Like 1