Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

8 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Should be August. Late July has TLK, which is gonna be gigantic. Early July has SM:FFH.  

Then August it should have been. Why on Earth did they not push it back? Its legs will be hit somewhat hard by Hellboy next week and then completely immobilized via a strike to the knees by Endgame. 

Do you think that WB didn't want it released too close to Joker, which will be released in October? 

Edited by BluRayHiDef

40 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

Then August it should have been. Why on Earth did they not push it back? Its legs will be hit somewhat hard by Hellboy next week and then completely immobilized via a strike to the knees by Endgame. 

Do you think that WB didn't want it released too close to Joker, which will be released in October? 

Hellboy? Lol. I think Hellboy will flop.

1 hour ago, BluRayHiDef said:

I saw Shazam! two weeks ago at a preview screening and really enjoyed it. It's a shame that WB didn't release it in late July or early August; it would have had less competition and possibly better legs. Damn.

It's got a lot of breathing room until Endgame hits

2 hours ago, UserHN said:

Hellboy? Lol. I think Hellboy will flop.

I misspoke. What I meant to say is that Hellboy will take a small chunk of its potential revenue since it's a similar type of movie (comic-book superhero). Whatever money Hellboy makes next week will be money that would have been a part of Shazam!'s second week.

It’ll have both a comparatively lower budget (Hellboy cost $66 million in 2004 while Golden Army cost $85m in 2008) and an R-rating. So, come what may, this reboot is an attempt to turn Hellboy into a franchise on the third go-around. 

This are the previous movies budget, dont think they put to much money on this one, when the others don't even break. 

2 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

so this can be the first DCEU movie that can´t reach 200m domestic

i know is too early

It seems likely and would be quite bad tbh. Until Shazam the average for DC movies since MoS was: $320M DOM, $820M worldwide. Shazam will be lucky to make half of that. It would mean going back to pre-DCEU level of box office.

Of course if you consider the budget and assume a nice domestic share, Shazam could only be called a hit. It could get a sequel, although it should remain relatively cheap (I'm not sure how The Rock would figure into this, he would bump the budget by $20M at least).

If anything, Shazam's performance shows how impressive the DCEU has been so far at the box office (not that trolls will ever admit that). And also, that it isn't easy to replicate the amazing performances of the Deadpools or Venom: they managed to get superhero blockbuster numbers and great profits with a similar budget. Turns out, it isn't as easy as it seems. Even after great reviews, with teenage leads Shazam was evidently too niche to reach a wider audience, and too American for overseas (as predicted by the smartest box office watchers).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It seems likely and would be quite bad tbh. Until Shazam the average for DC movies since MoS was: $320M DOM, $820M worldwide. Shazam will be lucky to make half of that. It would mean going back to pre-DCEU level of box office.

Of course if you consider the budget and assume a nice domestic share, Shazam could only be called a hit. It could get a sequel, although it should remain relatively cheap (I'm not sure how The Rock would figure into this, he would bump the budget by $20M at least).

If anything, Shazam's performance shows how impressive the DCEU has been so far at the box office (not that trolls will ever admit that). And also, that it isn't easy to replicate the amazing performances of the Deadpools or Venom: they managed to get superhero blockbuster numbers and great profits with a similar budget. Turns out, it isn't as easy as it seems. Even after great reviews, with teenage leads Shazam was evidently too niche to reach a wider audience, and too American for overseas (as predicted by the smartest box office watchers).

This is a well summed up post but I think EG tickets also played a significant factor into some overseas markets and domestically as well. Of course I can’t prove that and it’s of course WB fault for releasing at this time but that’s just my opinion at least, hype was just too huge with EG. 

• Thanks 1

Shazam will do/be fine, just like Ant-Man and Ant-Man did/were fine. Not every superhero film has to be a world-ending-event one billion-dollar grossing uber-blockbuster. Heck, I hope that both Marvel and DC continue making 80-million dollar CBMs alongside their big guns. I would love to see "small" earthbound characters like Blue Beetle, White Tiger, Echo, Lady Shiva, and the upcoming Black Widow succeed too, even if none of them makes the kind of money that films starring Wonder Woman/Superman/Batman or Iron Man/Captain America/Captain Marvel make. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Shazam will do/be fine, just like Ant-Man and Ant-Man did/were fine. Not every superhero film has to be a world-ending-event one billion-dollar grossing uber-blockbuster. Heck, I hope that both Marvel and DC continue making 80-million dollar CBMs alongside their big guns. I would love to see "small" earthbound characters like Blue Beetle, White Tiger, Echo, Lady Shiva, and the upcoming Black Widow succeed too, even if none of them makes the kind of money that films starring Wonder Woman/Superman/Batman or Iron Man/Captain America/Captain Marvel make. 

THANK YOU

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

:redcapes:

Saturday Update: Warner Bros.’ Shazam! is living up to expectations this weekend as the studio reports the film earned $20.5 million on opening day Friday — including Thursday night’s $5.9 million, but excluding March 23’s $3.325 million Fandango preview earnings.

Comp-wise, the first day is similar to Ant-Man‘s $22.65 million back in July 2015, while coming in well ahead of Power Rangers‘ $14.9 million two years ago.

Internationally, Shazam! added $29.2 million from 79 markets on Friday, bringing the total overseas cume to $44.0 million. Those figures include a $15.3 million opening day in China on Friday, while excluding that country’s flash estimate of $9.8 million on Saturday.

Other overseas highlights from the studio include:

• Confirmed Friday results out of China came in at RMB 102.5m ($15.3m) on approximately 20,520 screens, ranking as the #1 U.S. Film in the market (rank #2 overall behind the opening of a local title).  Saturday Flash Figures are coming in at an estimated RMB 66m ($9.8m) taking the running cume to RMB 168.5m ($25.1m).  Note that the flash Saturday numbers are not included in the running international cume reported above.
  • Mexico opened to an excellent Ps 30.1m ($1.6m) on 2,829 screens with a nearly 50% share of the Top 5 films.  These opening day results are ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy by +22%, Ant-Man by +21% and Captain America: First Avengerby +13%.
  • UK alsoopened to strong results, generating an estimated £1.2m ($1.5m) on 620 screens, taking the top spot with a 35% share of the Top 5 films.  These results are coming in +4% over Captain America: First Avenger and roughly on par with Ant-Man.  Including previews, the running cume is now £1.3m ($1.7m). 
  • India released to an estimated INR 35.3m ($511k) on 1,138 screens, ranking as the #1 U.S. Film in the market.  Opening day results are more than double Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy and +19% ahead of Wonder Woman.
  • And Spain debuted to an estimated €340k ($382k) on 441 screens, narrowly ranking #2 and tracking +27% ahead of Ant-Man.
  • Russia (Day 2): RMB 60m ($915k) on 3,072 screens and maintaining a clear #1 with over 50% share of the Top 5 films.  The cume to date is RMB 122m ($1.9m). 
  • Brazil (Day 2): R$ 3.0m ($774k) on 1,509 screens, continuing at #1 with a 55% share of the Top 5 films.  The running cume is now R$ 3.3m ($848k).
  • Australia (Day 2): A$957k ($681k) on 507 screens, holding at #1 with a 45% share of the Top 5 five films.  The cume is currently A$1.9m ($1.3m).
  • UAE (Day 2): AED 2.1m ($572k) on 110 screens, #1 with a cume of AED 4.4m ($1.2m).
  • Korea (Day 3): Won 642.4m ($565k) on 1,143 screens, rank #1 with the 3-day cume coming to Won 1.9b ($1.6m).  
  • Taiwan (Day 3): Rank #1 with NT$15.0m ($486k) from 248 screens and bringing the cume to date to NT$55.5m ($1.8m).
  • Indonesia (Day 3): IDR 6.1b ($430k) on 1,029 screens, holding a 67% share of the Top 5 films.  The running cume is now IDR 37.7b ($2.6m).
  • Thailand (Day 2): Baht 11.8m ($373k) on 632 screens capturing a massive 82% share of the Top 5 films.  The running cume is Baht 31.9m ($1.0m).
  • France (Day 3): €317k ($356k) on 566 screens, continuing to rank #1 on Friday.  The 3-day cume stands at £1.0m ($1.1m).

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-estimates-shazam-pet-sematary-best-enemies-dumbo/

• Thanks 1

A lot of people are saying this is trash because it is worse compared to other recent superhero movies but all the recent superhero movies are either part of one of the biggest movie franchises of all time (MCU) or based on more popular characters. Shazam is literally the first C-list superhero movie outside of the MCU in like 5 years. Of course it will gross than those other movies.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

A lot of people are saying this is trash because it is worse compared to other recent superhero movies

Nobody is saying this is "trash", Shazam still has a chance to get near x2 its budget just domestically, which would be a great run by any (non-superhero) standards.

However, the fact that movies like Wonder Woman or Aquaman performed so much better shows the strength of the franchise model. Nevermind how "famous" the characters were decades ago, the movies were predicted to flop (especially WW). Shazam didn't get any introduction or crossover in previous films; that wouldn't have added $100M+, but could only have helped sell the characters and the actors.