Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Nobody is saying this is "trash", Shazam still has a chance to get near x2 its budget just domestically, which would be a great run by any (non-superhero) standards.

However, the fact that movies like Wonder Woman or Aquaman performed so much better shows the strength of the franchise model. Nevermind how "famous" the characters were decades ago, the movies were predicted to flop (especially WW). Shazam didn't get any introduction or crossover in previous films; that wouldn't have added $100M+, but could only have helped sell the characters and the actors.

Both Aquaman and Wonder Woman are A-list superheroes though. The only reason they were predicted to flop was because of the seemingly toxic brand surrounding them. If the DCEU hadn't existed and these characters just had separate solo films, most people would have likely predicted much higher.

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Both Aquaman and Wonder Woman are A-list superheroes though. The only reason they were predicted to flop was because of the seemingly toxic brand surrounding them. If the DCEU hadn't existed and these characters just had separate solo films, most people would have likely predicted much higher.

Go back and read the first pages of the Wonder Woman thread. :Gaga:

Who predicted $1.15B for an Aquaman movie before the DCEU? The fact that you seriously call them "A-list" shows the power of blockbuster marketing, because they were either half forgotten or mocked a few years ago, WW couldn't even get a TV show.

(And the brand only seems "toxic" to fanboys, not at the box office.)

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

They were also predicted to flop because people expected them to face strong competition. But all their competing movies flopped or underperformed.

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Is it only me to think that Shazam is better than Aquaman?

Recency effect.

but I do agree. I enjoyed both; but felt Shazam had more heart, better pacing and was more enjoyable.

I felt Aquaman could be shorter by 15minutes.

52 minutes ago, boyamama said:

actually the OS number isn't really bad,only china not as high as AQUAMAN.........

OS is not good almost everywhere in Europe and Asia (except Indonesia). Even Brazil which is a very superhero loving country came in lower than expected. When the first numbers from Europe and Korea came in horrible, I actually expected China and Brazil to rescue the film's OS numbers. But then, China also came in and it was not good. The saving grace for this is its dom number, which is 50M+ OW.

Edited by UserHN
  • ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, UserHN said:

OS is not good almost everywhere in Europe and Asia (except Indonesia). Even Brazil which is a very superhero loving country came in lower than expected. When the first numbers from Europe and Korea came in horrible, I actually expected China and Brazil to rescue the film's OS numbers. But then, China also came in and it was not good. The saving grace for this is its dom number, which is 50M+ OW.

it's because u compare it w/ CM,BP,AQM number. but if u compare w/ antman number, it's not far different also w/ that budget and good critic it's a win-win for WB,no matter how troll try to explain how flop shazam is......

and lol @ dumbo it's even worst than MPR....and people say lego flop...lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Just got out. Will give detailed review later. Got lots of laugh and the last scene got applause from many. Good movie!

But for now It’s Cone Pizza time!

Ok I've had my first cone pizza's, found them overrated and I am happy to report I am still firmly in team normal Pizza!

I liked Shazam. I really did. It's above Aquaman and Wonder Woman for me but beneath Batman v Superman (Yes, BvS is my favourite DCEU movie and I liked JL too despite its flaws). Shazam is hilarious, its lighthearted and sweet. I liked the family angle in this as well. Zachary Levi did a good job but for me the best was Jack Grazer who (unfortunately) overshadowed Asher Angel. I had read someone say on this thread that Asher was not good in this but I would disagree he was decent but no where close to Grazer. The rest of the cast (especially the young cast) was good too without being annoying. 

While Shazam was good, it was not perfect, as such I do have some qualms about it. Firstly it does get boring at times when the superhero or the funny stuff is not happening. Secondly the CGI is shoddy for the most part which is expected given the budget. Thirdly this lacks much action (My friend whom I went with commented after the movie ended that it felt more like a comedy movie than a Superhero movie due to the lack of action and "big pieces". This could perhaps explain why it is not doing so well in some international countries. Deadpool did well in part because its comedy was a different type but also in part because it is filled with action.) I will stress that the last two things (CGI and Action) are not that important for me so they are more nitpicks rather than serious reservations.

I do have some minor nitpicks or questions but they are suited for the spoiler thread. But they are minor an inconsequential. 

Audience report - My screen was almost 75-80% full which is good for a noon show. Almost all of the crowd composed of Teens and young adults. I barely saw any families or children. My crowd ate up the movie. The humour did not get lost (expected since audience consisted of english educated young people). Every Joke landed and got plenty of laughs. The very last scene (not the mid or post credit ones) got some enthusiastic applause. 

So far ratings on one of the booking app is very positive (although still too early so will change a bit)

I am gonna add one thing about Shazam in India. Checking ticketing while booking I found the number of theaters and screens playing this (at least in my city) to be quite low. The lowest I have seen for a SH movie in many years now. It is also not playing in 3D at all which will cut into its gross. I dont know why this is but could be due to some conflict between studio and theaters. Indians, some at least, still love 3D and cinemas are all too happy to cram that. A normal SH 3d movie would have far more 3d showtime than 2d ones. Even the cinema that I regularly frequent did not schedule this on a normal screen at all. It only had like 3 Imax shows a day and thats it. This is highly unusual as its a big cinema, prestigious one too so charges more, plus it always plays hollywood movies. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, boyamama said:

it's because u compare it w/ CM,BP,AQM number. but if u compare w/ antman number, it's not far different also w/ that budget and good critic it's a win-win for WB,no matter how troll try to explain how flop shazam is......

and lol @ dumbo it's even worst than MPR....and people say lego flop...lol

Ant-Man did $500M+. But I don't even think Shazam can cross $500M with OS numbers like that. Let's see if it can cross $400M first. Good thing for Shazam is its $100M budget.

And yes, The Lego Movie 2 is a flop. With an almost $100M budget, it still hasn't crossed $200M worldwide.

Edited by UserHN

57 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Is it only me to think that Shazam is better than Aquaman?

It might be. It definitely has a better screenplay not as many flaws. I think I still prefer Aquaman because it’s just so epic and has breaktaking visuals and actions. 

17 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Ant-Man did $500M+. But I don't even think Shazam can cross $500M with OS numbers like that. Let's see if it can cross $400M first. Good thing for Shazam is its $100M budget.

And yes, The Lego Movie 2 is a flop. With an almost $100M budget, it still hasn't crossed $200M worldwide.

Antman cross around 50-60M more in China.That's make a big difference in OS market.

Edited by SliverS

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Shazam is doing fine for a comedy - even one with a $90M budget.

Shazam is doing badly for a superhero movie - even one with a $90M budget.

I'd disagree on that last one, especially if it manages to get over 60.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Shazam is doing fine for a comedy - even one with a $90M budget.

Shazam is doing badly for a superhero movie - even one with a $90M budget.

I love this^^^

Totally illuminates how perspective is everything.

If any comedy today opened at 52 million, we all would be ooohing and ahhhhing over such a fantastic number.

If any superhero film today opened at 52 million, lots of us would be lamenting the 'floppage' of such opening.

(Bonus: If an MCU superhero film today opened at 52 million, some of us would be in panic mode, others would be celebrating "the much deserved crumbling of the MCU assembly line" and others would be frantically trying to understand what happened.)