Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

24 minutes ago, Fielding said:

Newsflash: very, very, very few superhero flicks leave a "cultural footprint".

what? a lot of marvel movies have, except maybe ant-man and dr strange. plenty of dc movies do, even the badly reviewed ones like suicide squad. shazam kind of just vanished from the cultural conversation.

13 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

i kind of feel like this movie just came and went without leaving any cultural footprint whatsoever

I get the feeling that "everyone" who has seen it at least liked it. Shazam could be a bit like Batman Begin. Doesn´t set the world on fire during its theaterical run but combined with home video its building up a big package of buzz and good will.

Shazam stands where it did stand 1 week ago. WB will make a nice profit and has a new DC franchise for the kids market to built on big time.

The movie was the next step for DC on film, just not a leap. But for the first Shazam film in close to 70 years thats a good job.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

what? a lot of marvel movies have, except maybe ant-man and dr strange. plenty of dc movies do, even the badly reviewed ones like suicide squad. shazam kind of just vanished from the cultural conversation.

Rare for sequels to have one and many of them are (even giant one like did Incredible 2 pretty much came and went ?), but yes some first entry do like Guardian & Black Panther.

It is easier for terrible received movie like BvS/Suicide Squad to have a big cultural conversation (scoring 30% on RT will give you 300% the conversation than scoring 70% will) 

Edited by Barnack

16 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

how much profit will this make?

less than man of steel? (225 budget) (668 WW)

According to deadline estimate back in the days:

https://deadline.com/2014/03/iron-man-3-gravity-man-of-steel-profit-most-profitable-movies-2013-701662/

Man of steel was estimated to have made 42.7m in profit with an bit over 310m in budget + participation cost.

Is Shazam going to do around 400m (150m dbo -250m intl) ?

If the budget is between 80m to 105m and make around those numbers,  it could make between 80m and 130m if the participations were kept low (with those name, should be the case),

That for example

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hoteltransylvania.htm

Production Budget: $85 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $148,313,048    41.4%
Foreign:  $210,062,555    58.6%

Worldwide:  $358,375,603  

Made 88.5m in profit (with a real budget of 104m), the cheaper sequel was expected to make 120m in profit at 400m WW (150dbo/250intl)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrGamer said:

Hardcore Marvel and DC fanboys: YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO BE FEUDING, DAMNIT!!!

It's a bond shared between former-schlubby sitcom stars who are now muscle bound super heroes. Just a matter of time before John Krasinski joins in on the fun as Kraven the Hunter for Sony or something.

What a well-done movie.  Best origin story for a character in a LOOOONG time.  I loved it.  My family loved it.  For the family grades...

Me - A-/B+ - it's only flaw is a slightly longish, repetitive 3rd act.  I LOVED the villain origin being told alongside the hero origin, I loved the tight and sensible story, I loved the feeling, I loved the acting, I loved the comedy.  Endgame is gonna have a tough time beating this movie for top super of the year for me:).  I lean to the A-, but I really don't give those out much, so I wanna sleep on it.  I will say it's the best movie I've seen since Infinity War.

Spouse - B+ - he also loved it, although not quite as much as me

Older teen - A - a long time since she gave this good a grade to a movie

Younger teen - A- - a longer time since she's given a grade this high to a movie

Olden non-teen son - A- - his only complaint were the curse words - go figure

Youngest son - A- - he was happy from start to finish

AND GRANDMOM - A- - she really liked it.  She's a DC fan from the 50's/60's, and she was so happy to see this done so right:).

What a great value for my ticket.  And if you have boys, none of the violence will get to them.  I was happy they didn't sugarcoat the villain origin - he's a bad guy (as my boys said), he does bad things:)...

• Like 3

On 4/23/2019 at 2:17 AM, TwoMisfits said:

What a well-done movie.  Best origin story for a character in a LOOOONG time.  I loved it.  My family loved it.  For the family grades...

Me - A-/B+ - it's only flaw is a slightly longish, repetitive 3rd act.  I LOVED the villain origin being told alongside the hero origin, I loved the tight and sensible story, I loved the feeling, I loved the acting, I loved the comedy.  Endgame is gonna have a tough time beating this movie for top super of the year for me:).  I lean to the A-, but I really don't give those out much, so I wanna sleep on it.  I will say it's the best movie I've seen since Infinity War.

Spouse - B+ - he also loved it, although not quite as much as me

Older teen - A - a long time since she gave this good a grade to a movie

Younger teen - A- - a longer time since she's given a grade this high to a movie

Olden non-teen son - A- - his only complaint were the curse words - go figure

Youngest son - A- - he was happy from start to finish

AND GRANDMOM - A- - she really liked it.  She's a DC fan from the 50's/60's, and she was so happy to see this done so right:).

What a great value for my ticket.  And if you have boys, none of the violence will get to them.  I was happy they didn't sugarcoat the villain origin - he's a bad guy (as my boys said), he does bad things:)...

Great to hear.

Always happy to see the DC fandom be so diverse and strong.

Mom work at its best right here!    

• Like 1

I'm definitely more partial to the Marvel comics and universe, but I have to say Shazam was by far my favorite DC based CBM. I enjoyed it much more than even the Nolan trilogy. It wasn't a perfect movie, but it was a lot of fun. It was the Deadpool of DC, cranking up the comedy... granted that is a really low bar to begin with.

I'll be sad if there is no Shazam 2.

• Like 1