Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

14 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

So this is really making the initially intended date. We'll have the two Captain Marvel movies in 2019 :ph34r:

Both of which could do $250M-$300M domestic but which one will rein supreme? :jeb!:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Both of which could do $250M-$300M domestic but which one will rein supreme? :jeb!:

Probably (Marvel's) Captain Marvel unless Warner gets a bit name to play Shazam. I know one name that came up was Channing Tatum, but not sure if he's a "big" name.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Probably (Marvel's) Captain Marvel unless Warner gets a bit name to play Shazam. I know one name that came up was Channing Tatum, but not sure if he's a "big" name.

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I know nothing about the other one, but the original Captain Marvel (Shazam) is awesome, I can't wait.

To be honest I can see either or. On one hand, Shazam has the potential to be the most family friendly/kid appealing live action superhero movie even moreso than Spider-Man. It also wouldn't surprise me if they went the teamup route and put in Superman or Batman as Shazam's mentor (a la Iron Man in Homecoming). On the other hand, Captain Marvel has Nick Fury and potentially War Machine to help grosses, and the film before the storm (aka IW2 for the MCU), Disney also has Dumbo and Space (another Cars movie), they can double feature CM with throughout the Spring Break weeks. Also given the spot it's released on (International Women's Day) and the past success of Wonder Woman and Hunger Games, CM could go the distance but not $350M+ of course.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

The film does take a hit (in terms of awareness/marketing) if Rock isn't in it, but still I think the potential is there for this to blow up if they get someone with some charisma for Shazam.  The idea of a little kid becoming a superhero seems like something that young audiences would flock to if done right.

I could easily see this making more than Captain Marvel because of that alone.  Seriously, from what I've seen online, almost nobody who reads comics seems to like Carol, so they'll really have to sell the character in the movie universe to really make big money.  Otherwise, could see that film being more of an Ant Man type box office.

I could see this doing something like 85/250 if good.

Oh, and yes Superman needs to show up in this film if at all possible (I know people will say it's like Homecoming, but who cares), if only for it to tease a match up of Black Adam vs. Superman/Shazam in the sequel ... or Man of Steel 2.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

To be honest I can see either or. On one hand, Shazam has the potential to be the most family friendly/kid appealing live action superhero movie even moreso than Spider-Man. It also wouldn't surprise me if they went the teamup route and put in Superman or Batman as Shazam's mentor (a la Iron Man in Homecoming). On the other hand, Captain Marvel has Nick Fury to help grosses, and the film before the storm (aka IW2 for the MCU), Disney also has Dumbo and Space (another Cars movie), they can double feature CM with throughout the Spring Break weeks. Also given the spot it's released on (International Women's Day) and the past success of Wonder Woman and Hunger Games, CM could go the distance but not $350M+ of course.

Nick Fury isn't going to put any asses in the seats.  He's only there to tie the movie more to the traditional MCU. 

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AdamKendall said:

Nick Fury isn't going to put any asses in the seats.  He's only there to tie the movie more to the traditional MCU. 

True but it also wouldn't surprise me if they put War Machine in there too. I can also see Superman in Shazam. I'm thinking:

Shazam: $105M/$330M

CM: $95M/$305M

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DlAMONDZ said:

The Rock has to be in this. He's pretty much the only reason this project was pushed forward

Odds are he'll be in Shazam 2. He is getting his own spinoff too. I think they may put Superman in as Shazam mentor (a la Homecoming).

• Like 1

I think Rock is more interested in being Black Adam and facing Superman than anything in Shazam. LOL

Really ... this should be a priority for Rock as it's easily his best chance at huge #s outside Furious ... yet he keeps choosing these awful franchises and movies that aren't going to have longevity.  Instead he's been filming the likes of Jumanji, Rampage and something called Skyscraper.  I mean the dude has been touting being Black Adam (not counting the earlier times) since what ... 2014?

Seriously ... Rock get your act together ... you won't be Teflon forever. :P

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 3

I don't know about 300 million but if they do it well I think it could do fine.  I do want Superman to have a role in it because I kind of just want to see that character again and in a less harsh light. I want to see him in a light movie.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't know about 300 million but if they do it well I think it could do fine.  I do want Superman to have a role in it because I kind of just want to see that character again and in a less harsh light. I want to see him in a light movie.

I can see them giving Superman the mentor role for Shazam like Iron Man and Spider-Man.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Does that mean The Rock won't play Black Adam?

No, at this point there are plans for a Black Adam solo movie. Also, don't be surprised if he doesn't make a cameo appearance in either Justice League or Aquaman.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

No, at this point there are plans for a Black Adam solo movie. Also, don't be surprised if he doesn't make a cameo appearance in either Justice League or Aquaman.

Forgive me, I'm not very familiar with Shazam's history. Who could his villain be?