Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

This looks like the best DCEU film, but it's gonna end up grossing the least 😕

Zachery Levi's perfect casting, even if he didn't get roided up like the suit looks like it needed him to be.

Good reviews will go a long way with this. It looks like it’s hitting every cliche a studio exec thinks the young male demo want, but that will only get you so far with the other demos.

Why is that Batman toy soo detailed in the DC world though? The character is supposed to be a shadowy unknown figure and here you have him with his utility belt detailed on a toy. Should be extremely dangerous especially amongst criminals who can easily profile his abilities. 

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

This looks like the best DCEU film, but it's gonna end up grossing the least 😕

Zachery Levi's perfect casting, even if he didn't get roided up like the suit looks like it needed him to be.

It's got a 80-90 M budget, it'll make a lot of cash. Although I'm sure it'll pass Justice League. 

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Good reviews will go a long way with this. It looks like it’s hitting every cliche a studio exec thinks the young male demo want, but that will only get you so far with the other demos.

I'd be surprised if this didn't get good reviews, but awareness is so low that ultimately that's not really gonna matter much either way.

There's no way this won't be profitable for WB, but the problem remains: unless this does at least Ant Man and the Wasp numbers, the doom and gloom articles/videos will be flooding the internet, thus maintaining the negative vibe around DC. That's why I think good reviews (over 80% RT) are actually more important than the box office (I don't see it being a smash hit, so "mediocre" numbers won't be enough)

Eh. Repeated too many bits from the first trailer. Doesn't give any new story information. There's no pacing, the trailer doesn't build to anything. Just a montage of events. Also odd that they are releasing the second trailer just a month before release. Kind of feels like DC is keeping this low-key.

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

There's no way this won't be profitable for WB, but the problem remains: unless this does at least Ant Man and the Wasp numbers, the doom and gloom articles/videos will be flooding the internet, thus maintaining the negative vibe around DC. That's why I think good reviews (over 80% RT) are actually more important than the box office (I don't see it being a smash hit, so "mediocre" numbers won't be enough)

This. Its sad that being profitable is not enough for a CBM. If it ends up doing less than Justice League (which is likely). The media will paint it as being a failure despite costing less than half of what JL did. Because that is what is generating clicks.

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

I'd be surprised if this didn't get good reviews, but awareness is so low that ultimately that's not really gonna matter much either way.

Very true. It is just coming out at the worst time for this genre. Should’ve pushed it up to February or moved it to August/Fall

• Like 1

Just now, JGAR4LIFE said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was 1 hour 30 minutes or more runtime.

Theyre reusing the same footage, the small budget, the release date, it’s all starting to make sense. I expect Ant Man 2015 numbers. 

Christ Almighty. "Too much new footage! You're spoiling it!". "Not enough new footage! This is a 40 minute episode of a low-budget Arrow-verse show!"

It could very well be that this is under 2 hours - but the trailer isn't an indication of the running time. And if it is a shorter length, not every movie has to be a three hour epic. So many superhero movies suffer from bloat in any case. A 100 minute movie can work just as well as a movie that runs 140+ (or as badly). It's how those minutes flow and how that time is used that make the movie, not the length itself.

Aaaand...I just used a "it's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean" type of reasoning.

Shoot me.