Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Trailer reactions have been positive each time I've seen them, but exposure does seem lower than for other major SH movies. I expect soft openings in most markets, but good reviews and wom might just push it to decent numbers overall. Not huge breakouts anywhere, but I think it can at least do 2 x Solo internationally. 😁

I'm thrilled to see it. Definitely going opening weekend in the UK. I even jumped in on the prediction above 275 million (276 😉) but that's my optimistic prediction of 276/800+. I could easily see something more like 225/600+ too which is not bad at all for the small budget. Mediocre is Alita box office wise and there has been much worse like John Carter or who could forget the dumpster fire of Stealth?

One thing I will help  a lot is Zach Levi. I want a Chuck movie! 

Edited by cdsacken

There are times like this that WB is kicking themselves for previous mistakes. Everything points to Shazam being the better movie compared to Captain Marvel and if Shazam were made in the MCU the buzz would be enormous for it right now. But DC due to past mistakes have a much smaller fanbase than Marvel which means that even when they make a very good movie like Shazam the interest is pretty low because the inbuilt fanbase is too small.

Marvel has reached such high level of trust and so many fans that even when they make a mediocre movie the level of interest is so high that the movie inevitable explodes. 

While for DC it isn't enough for the movie to be great, the audiences will continue to see DC as the lesser version of Marvel. It will take years for DC to change this reception and to grow a fanbase. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LordNox said:

There are times like this that WB is kicking themselves for previous mistakes. Everything points to Shazam being the better movie compared to Captain Marvel and if Shazam were made in the MCU the buzz would be enormous for it right now. But DC due to past mistakes have a much smaller fanbase than Marvel which means that even when they make a very good movie like Shazam the interest is pretty low because the inbuilt fanbase is too small.

Shazam was made in the MCU.

Image result for spider-man homecoming

$7 mil difference from that BvS & Oscar-winning no China SS, are those inbuilt fanbases?

• Like 1

Spiderman made huge numbers at the box office. 

And that is why i pointed out that WB is kicking themselves right now. If they hadn't made all kinds of mistakes at the beginning they would have a big inbuilt fanbase. The interest was there, but too many bad movies were made which made DC lose a lot of trust.

13 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

Shazam was made in the MCU.

Image result for spider-man homecoming

$7 mil difference from that BvS & Oscar-winning no China SS, are those inbuilt fanbases?

Basically...except Shazam didn't have a mentor, unless you count Freddy (the disabled kid). And that Spider-Man was already established as a superhero in this movie.

2 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Spiderman made huge numbers at the box office. 

And that is why i pointed out that WB is kicking themselves right now. If they hadn't made all kinds of mistakes at the beginning they would have a big inbuilt fanbase. The interest was there, but too many bad movies were made which made DC lose a lot of trust.

So, did the other coming together of the 2 biggest brands, but apparently the difference between a good and bad movie is $7 mil

WB was kicking themselves once they found out they could actually gain high interest from other characters after shit like Jonah Hex, GL, and even Superman from X-Men fame was the standard

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Basically...except Shazam didn't have a mentor, unless you count Freddy (the disabled kid). And that Spider-Man was already established as a superhero in this movie.

Freddy in this case is more Ned Leeds. Stoked to hear that it's apparently more encompassing than just the buddy comedy between those 2 if that Shoplifters comparison is anything to go by.

5 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

Freddy in this case is more Ned Leeds. Stoked to hear that it's apparently more encompassing than just the buddy comedy between those 2 if that Shoplifters comparison is anything to go by.

Well the difference in interest has only grown lately. Captain Marvel which almost every reviewer seems to agree is inferior to Shazam is still likely to earn more than double at the box office. With Shazam earning 500M or less and Captain Marvel over a billion. Had Shazam been a marvel movie the buzz would be enormous by now.

4 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

Freddy is a mix between Ned and Tony. He's Ned because of that awkward but cute nerdiness that we can all relate to. And he's Tony because he knows all about the "cape crusader stuff." I will be watching this again when it officially comes out in theatres =)!

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

Shazam trailer was better TBH.

Agree with you to a certain extent. If taking out of context, Shazam!'s trailer is more rewatchable, because of money shots etc etc. But layers upon layers of memory and emotion and feelings make Endgame's trailer 10x more moving and rewatchable, for me at least.