Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

Seems to be having a lot of free screenings in my area.  I keep getting emails about them.  I guess that's a sign of confidence?  I don't really have any particular interest in this, but did offer to take my daughter since it was free, but she didn't know anything about it (apparently, WB is not advertising on Kpop youtube videos, lol...she's a huge BTS fan, so that's 90% of what she watches these days).  

3 hours ago, Premium George said:

Still can't see this opening below $80m. Not saying others are wrong, just can't wrap my head around it. 

I usually have a keen eye for breakouts (the extent to which they breakout, not so much.

IDK, not feeling anything huge with this one, though well see.

23 hours ago, AndyK said:

Will the Rock play a villain though?

He wants to be loved.

You know what's funny? He actually went back to the WWE to be a heel (or bad guy) for a while...this was a few years back...and the crowd couldn't boo him, even though he was doing some douchey stuff. haha

I can see why tracking is so low for this movie. Just went to buy advanced tickets for this movie, and all the seats are still available. People are still on board with the MCU, Captain Marvel, and Endgame momentum train. Will need Us and Dumbo to dissipate some of the MCU hype, before we get a better idea on how Shazam will do during OW.

The trailers have barely shown anything the early reactions are raving about (the emotional family dynamics, the scares, the stakes, the other children etc.) I appreciate not giving away the entire movie but I feel in this case it is the other extreme and not enough? Regardless of the general whining over Aquaman's perceived lack of marketing, I thought its two trailers were perfect to drum up excitement for the film.

Shazam trailers OTOH are telegraphing an Ant-Man-esque smaller scope. They are fun and will get the fans to attend, but GA is now heading to theatres only to watch something truly special. With this being sandwiched between CM and Endgame, I feel like the marketing should be more aggressive. WOM can only get so far in a crowded market. The opening should be impressive too.

Maybe it won't matter in the end as it will make profit due to the smaller budget (and maybe that's the reason for WB's smaller marketing budget too). But feel like this has potential to be really big.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The trailers have barely shown anything the early reactions are raving about (the emotional family dynamics, the scares, the stakes, the other children etc.) I appreciate not giving away the entire movie but I feel in this case it is the other extreme and not enough? Regardless of the general whining over Aquaman's perceived lack of marketing, I thought its two trailers were perfect to drum up excitement for the film.

Shazam trailers OTOH are telegraphing an Ant-Man-esque smaller scope. They are fun and will get the fans to attend, but GA is now heading to theatres only to watch something truly special. With this being sandwiched between CM and Endgame, I feel like the marketing should be more aggressive. WOM can only get so far in a crowded market. The opening should be impressive too.

Maybe it won't matter in the end as it will make profit due to the smaller budget (and maybe that's the reason for WB's smaller marketing budget too). But feel like this has potential to be really big.

This I agree with. While I think marketing has been fine, they could of showed a bit more in trailers. And I definitely don’t see this being huge by any means. Release date isn’t the best for sure. 

I was actually thinking they should of had a small clip attached at the end of Aquaman to say this was coming next. Not an after credit scene per say as they’re only loosely connecting the universe, but a small clip from Shazam basically saying coming next in the dc universe, at the end of the credits. 

This is gonna have some tough competition from dumbo the week before and Pet cemetery ( I know different crowds) but it’s still getting good reactions. 

Looking at the release schedule I really don’t know when would of been a better time to release this with how much stuff is coming out. Maybe in late August, I don’t know. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

I think a 50M OW for this is very probable.

So we had/have

CM OW with 153M

CM 2nd weekend with 70M roughly

US next weekend which will have a 50M+ start for sure me thinks

Dumbo is next which should also hit 50M OW

And then Shazam with 50M+

Good weeks ahead.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I think a 50M OW for this is very probable.

So we had/have

CM OW with 153M

CM 2nd weekend with 70M roughly

US next weekend which will have a 50M+ start for sure me thinks

Dumbo is next which should also hit 50M OW

And then Shazam with 50M+

Good weeks ahead.

yeah, I'm thinking it's good for 50-60M too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bane Cook said:

Being true or false doesn’t make any sense. This is art. It’s her opinion so that makes it true for her. 

Of course one can say Catwoman is their favorite as well. Besides personal opinion, I meant overall ranking wise I doubt this even sniffs top 5 much less 1. Looks like a fun enjoyable film and I can't wait to see it.