Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

There were rumors floating around that they would make Billy Batson differently abled but Jack's character Freddy is the original character from the comic with the disability.

HWFKjBv.jpg?1

He too gets the transform-into-a-superhero powers but dunno if they are including it in this first film.

4555934-4929928760-tumbl.jpg

Either ways, great role for Jack Dylan Grazer. Hope this movie delivers.

• Like 1

Ok, I’m not reading this thread or googling things.  The concept doesn’t immediately sell me, so can I get an earnest explanation...sell me...why should I be excited about this?

I want to be.  Tell me.  I’ll know if you quote me...GO!  Please?

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Looks like Shazam is going to be more family friendly compared to past DC films which isn't too surprising considering the source material. One of the things it has going for it is that it's unconnected to Justice League. 

It's actually connectedvto JL and Cavill is rumored to appear.

1 hour ago, kowhite said:

Ok, I’m not reading this thread or googling things.  The concept doesn’t immediately sell me, so can I get an earnest explanation...sell me...why should I be excited about this?

Superman by way of Chris Columbus circa 90's (and Sorcerer's Stone)

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kowhite said:

Spidey said it best, but it's basically like Superman if he was a literal big blue boy scout, and had magic powers. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

7 hours ago, kowhite said:

He's cute and he's a superhero.

Next question please. I'm here all day!

Edited by Arlborn

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Superman meets Big.

I’d never really heard of Shazam before, so he’s definitely Ant-Man level D list. 

I think this could do well, seems a bit different to the other superhero stuff. 

My father actually knows more about him than I do. As in, from his childhood. That makes me wonder, I gotta ask him some time how exactly he knows him since he's never really read comic books.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

My father actually knows more about him than I do. As in, from his childhood. That makes me wonder, I gotta ask him some time how exactly he knows him since he's never really read comic books.

Shazam wasn't a DC character originally. He was from a company called Fawcett Comics that shut shop in 1953. Apparently back in the old days, he was as big a character as Superman himself. I think there were newspaper strips featuring him, or some general comic digests at the newspaper store, which is the reason many older individuals who aren't into Marvel/DC stuff are aware of him.

Of course, there is also the fact that until 2011 he was not called Shazam but Captain Marvel. DC understandably didn't want to use him a lot since it felt like they were inadvertently advertising their competition. :P But since Marvel themselves weren't utilizing their own Captain Marvel (back then Mar-Vell and then an African-American woman named Monica Rambeau) all that much, DC's Captain Marvel hung around a long while without a name change.

It was only after Marvel's push to get their own "Wonder Woman" by promoting the character of Carol Danvers from her "Ms. Marvel" moniker to "Captain Marvel" and pushing her comic by that title was when DC decided to drop the name for Billy's alter ego and instead go by Shazam, the word Billy has to use to transform.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1