Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

11 hours ago, kowhite said:

Ok, I’m not reading this thread or googling things.  The concept doesn’t immediately sell me, so can I get an earnest explanation...sell me...why should I be excited about this?

I want to be.  Tell me.  I’ll know if you quote me...GO!  Please?

It’s Big, but the kid becomes a superhero and has adventures. It can easily be PG instead of PG13 and has kid wish fulfillment written all over it.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

Now I'm sad that they didn't cast Tom Hanks as Shazam.

He's way too old to be playing a superhero, might be genius casting to cast him as The Wizard.

4 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

WB/New Line will be pretty stupid if they won't make this a family film.It has a story that can hit big with everyone no matter his/hers age.350M seems like a very bold prediction atm but stranger things have happenned.That being said i wouldn't be surprised with something close to 300M.

I'm more conservative and thinking $220-250m domestic which for an origin film is fantastic. 

This is gonna be a tough bet...it probably depends if they can thread the needle of being kiddish enough to get kids without being too cheeseball or kiddie to lose adults...Lego Bats lost adults and couldn't hit $200M...

I mean, I'm an all comics reader, but I'm not a fan of Shazam...he'd probably have been 47th on my list of heroes or villains to make a movie out of...not b/c I don't appreciate his world, but it's just "eh", at least the stories I've read of him...

So, it's as likely to struggle to $150M DOM as it is to pop $250M DOM plus...which is a long way to say - who knows at this point, but the movie quality and marketing will be a big factor...as they almost always are...

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

This is gonna be a tough bet...it probably depends if they can thread the needle of being kiddish enough to get kids without being too cheeseball or kiddie to lose adults...Lego Bats lost adults and couldn't hit $200M...

I mean, I'm an all comics reader, but I'm not a fan of Shazam...he'd probably have been 47th on my list of heroes or villains to make a movie out of...not b/c I don't appreciate his world, but it's just "eh", at least the stories I've read of him...

So, it's as likely to struggle to $150M DOM as it is to pop $250M DOM plus...which is a long way to say - who knows at this point, but the movie quality and marketing will be a big factor...as they almost always are...

Well, it's all about the concept, you know? Even if Shazam doesn't have a comic book story that is memorable or anything his concept is still very interesting and they could still make a very cool movie appealing to all family out of that concept. That's my hope anyways.