Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

17 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

Guardians of the Galaxy at least had a very good comic book basis.  The comic series was relaunched a few years earlier by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, and that was basically what became the movie.  It was a great comic.  But at least, they are heroes.  A ragtag group but they are heroes. 

Black Adam is Shazam's villain.

Geoff Johns and David Goyer in particular have redefined the character in the last decade to be a more "tragic anti-hero" figure. I suspect Johns is the biggest reason Rock convinced WB to make BA a solo lead.

I love how these days, Hollywood is more open to hiring directors outside of their known craft. Sandberg is a horror director, but it sounds like WB sees something in him.

Either that or they're desperate, but I don't think that is the case here. They would have to be grasping at straws if they didn't have confidence in him.

Edited by NoobSaibot

13 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Ooh, good call.

It'll be interesting to see if New Line can succeed with a DC film, they have done big budget films before with LOTR, Hobbit and San Andreas and the Blade trilogy was successful so i'm confident they can do it. It's strange that New Line got to keep Shazam/Black Adam when they folded into WB, I would have thought that WB would want all the DC films under their umbrella and New Line the Vertigo titles, not that it matters as WB will distribute and will profit anyway.

Well...New Line isn't really "New Line" as we knew it, anymore, they are indeed a subsidiary of Warner Bros.

And I expect this director to be the first of two or three names in and out of this project (who knows, there may have already been more that we didn't hear about), if WB's past year of creative wrangling overseeing these DC adaptations is any evidence...  Remember, you've lost two directors for The Flash (and they're starting from scratch on the script), at least one (perhaps two) for The Batman, at least one for WW, and the director of SS has probably been pushed over to the lower-budget (I'm betting) Gotham City Sirens instead of the SS sequel.  ...And look who they're going for with that!

And absolutely no mention of The Rock's 'Black Adam' film here is kind of interesting, considering that was just touted as a big move forward recently...

Edited by Macleod

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Didn't they say a few months ago they were positioning for Black Adam to be done first?  That we'd see him as a hero/anti-hero before he became Shazam's nemesis?

Did they say that or was it rumor?

Anyway, I wouldn't get too ahead of it since Sandberg directed Annabelle 2 which is a New Line movie, so it's entirely possible he's there to promote that.

7 hours ago, TheMovieman said:

Did they say that or was it rumor?

Anyway, I wouldn't get too ahead of it since Sandberg directed Annabelle 2 which is a New Line movie, so it's entirely possible he's there to promote that.

Then why would he mention DC?