Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

6 hours ago, Heat Vision said:

I'm surprised they didn't release a new trailer with Aquaman.

Also this film needs to do the same release strategy as Aquaman and open early in some markets. 

I don't think it would translate into China as well as AM.

AM works so well because its a visual spectacle, films which have nuance or have too many Americanisms, would not always work so easily.

17 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

I think Shazam already has good buzz because of its FUN premise.

The humor might be nit corny for my taste but it got good laughs from the audience and decent amount of enthusiasm when the trailer was shown before Aquaman. Something I barely noticed in other dceu movie trailers post SS here.

I still say they should’ve went ahead and made Billy a pre-teen. The teenage superhero thing has already been done on film numerous times with Spider-Man. If Billy were a pre-teen, the movie would’ve been able to stand out more, and it would’ve made it easier to do sequels. I guess that at the very least, it’s cool that they got an actual kid to play the character, unlike with Spider-Man. 

38 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I still say they should’ve went ahead and made Billy a pre-teen. The teenage superhero thing has already been done on film numerous times with Spider-Man. If Billy were a pre-teen, the movie would’ve been able to stand out more, and it would’ve made it easier to do sequels. I guess that at the very least, it’s cool that they got an actual kid to play the character, unlike with Spider-Man. 

I imagine making Billy a bit older was a casting decision because young kids can only do a certain amount of hours on set. 

Edited by Jonwo

3 minutes ago, Rocinante said:

What will they do when the child actors become too old to play the parts? Will they recast them?

Also critics are gonna rip this film to pieces. I'm expecting 50% RT. 

Should do decent. Won't make a splash in the box office like Aquaman but it should be a fun family movie. Don't see critics being harsh on it unless the script is abysmal. Unless critics are bitter about Aquaman and take it out on this film.

1 hour ago, Heat Vision said:

Should do decent. Won't make a splash in the box office like Aquaman but it should be a fun family movie. Don't see critics being harsh on it unless the script is abysmal. Unless critics are bitter about Aquaman and take it out on this film.

Critics are generally harsher on DC than Marvel (or more lenient on Marvel than DC, depends on which way you view it). It kinda makes sense, when you are on the fence about a movie, it is safer to give Marvel film a fresh and DC a rotten based on their respective past performances. This explains why average Marvel movies get above average ratings and average DC movies get panned. 

So unless Shazam has really outstanding script, I'm expecting sub 60% for it. 

4 hours ago, Rocinante said:

Also critics are gonna rip this film to pieces. I'm expecting 50% RT. 

Why do you expect this? 

I've seen too little of it to judge either way, but the premise is interesting enough. I actually think Aquaman's popularity with general audiences will turn a lot of online "critics" around and the narrative will change, where it becomes retroactively more embraced by them. As such, I believe that if the execution for Shazam is on the money - as in a fun, entertaining, visually interesting movie that alows for you to have fun watching it (like Aquaman), any script issues will be more easily overlooked. To put it another way - 3/5 reviews that went rotten for Aquaman I can see the reviewers attributing as fresh with Shazam. So I could easily see an 80%+ tomato meter, but with a low average. 

I don't think critics are influenced by studios when making reviews, but they - especially a lot of the new generation online ones - are influenced by their audience. The DCEU movies have not clicked with audiences, so the general impression is that they are bad movies, compared to the MCU. I think critics will be followers here, instead of leading and sit on the fence with DC movies, perhaps leaning negative a bit, until audiences embrace them to an extent that critically bashing them would be counterproductive to the way these critics appeal to their fan base...

Aquaman being a smash hit that is riding on great WOM rather than a huge ope ING that then crashes is a start. If Shazam is at least entertaining, it will count as a win, and then WW84 should have all the ingredients to be successful all around and create somewhat of a streak. 

Will be interesting to see how Joker fits into all this. It's not DCEU, but it will be judged as such. 

Edited by reddevil19

The trailer for this movie was awesome, and it looks like a clever & self-aware superhero film, both of which are very rare in this franchise so far. That should be enough to make it get good reviews unless the trailers are polishing a turd

6 hours ago, Heat Vision said:

:apocalypse: