Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

24 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Well you could have predicted $320M for the last six then taken a nap, it would have been a pretty great first estimate. :sparta:

Shazam will probably do less than that, but perhaps add this complex equation to your models:

Reveal hidden contents

Since I had some time to kill, some analysis of actual predictions vs “always 320”.

Actual predictions:   

MoS— off by 34, squared error 1156   

BvS — off by 50M, squared error 2500  

SS — off by 50M, squared error 2500  

WW — off by 188M, squared error 35344  

Jl — off by 101M, squared error 10201

AQM — off by ~160M, squared error 25600  

mean squared error of ~12880, RMSE 113.5   

“Always 320”:  

MoS — off by 29, squared error 841  

BvS — off by 10, squared erro 100   

SS — off by 5, squared error 25  

WW — off by 93, squared error 8649

JL — off by 91, squared error 8281

AQM — off by ~15, squared error ~225  

mean squared error of ~ 3030, RMSE ~ 55     

So the difference is really quite immense. The natural conclusion is that Shazam will gross $320M ;)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Snyder's DC films were tough to predict to be fair. Any other director would have gotten those films past the 350mil mark quite easily. As shitty as Suicide Squad was even David Ayer didn't forget to feature likable characters in his film.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

While waiting for a full trailer, that was a lot of fun.  Levi is perfectly cast as a man child. 

It may not be an enormous hit like some other properties for DC, (especially since it's kind of sandwiched between CM & A:E)  but it should do solid given its budget and if the test screening reactions we've been hearing (including one of the members here) it should be a good movie which is what WB needs to keep doing to build the brand back up.

Aquaman, Wonder Woman & Shazam ... waiting for Batman & Superman to come join them in the sun.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

I don't like to say what Shazam can't do in it's current spot because I remember 2 DC films that supposedly had bad spots where they were going to be killed at the box office and they thrived just fine. There is a trend. People have been liking the non Snyder directed stuff more than the Snyder directed stuff (even Suicide Squad had a better reception than BvS). As long as the film isn't pure garbage it should do well. 

35 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Still can't get over how ridiculous the Styrofoam muscle suit is. I don't remember ever seeing anything like it in a CBM with any budget, not even the Schumacher costumes were so silly. 

Looks fine to me. Also, Levi selling the role this well certainly helps