Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Hmm, good point. It's worked for them lately so who am I to argue?

By the way, I'm not necessarily commenting on the marketing strategy here. I was commenting on early tracking. Though I guess they go hand and hand and tracking may increase tenfold once the marketing ramps up.

So I don't know....

The main problem for Shazam is its release date. It has the unfortunate reality that its sandwiched between two Marvel blockbusters with infinately more hype than Shazam. If Shazam were released in a less crowded time it would be able to get much more attention as the sole superhero movie in that period. Now it can only get scraps of attention compared to the MCU movies.

1 hour ago, LordNox said:

The main problem for Shazam is its release date. It has the unfortunate reality that its sandwiched between two Marvel blockbusters with infinately more hype than Shazam. If Shazam were released in a less crowded time it would be able to get much more attention as the sole superhero movie in that period. Now it can only get scraps of attention compared to the MCU movies.

Which is why you will see the marketing go apeshit the week before release, they will delay the review embargo to as late as possible for maximum impact.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Which is why you will see the marketing go apeshit the week before release, they will delay the review embargo to as late as possible for maximum impact.

I'm thinking great reviews will be very important for Shazam. If its able to get a fresh rating on rotten tomatoes it would be able to make the general public feel that this is a movie worth seeing. Bad ratings would mean that a lot of people won't bother. 

4 hours ago, LordNox said:

Agreed. If not for Hobbs and Shaw this would have been perfect on the first weekend in August.

• Like 1

The fact that the trailer is taking soo long to be released could mean that WB are waiting for the Captain Marvel marketing blitz to calm down most likely after it hits theaters. So the trailer might be out in March although WB should release it sooner so it  can be attached to Captain Marvel tho. 

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

The fact that the trailer is taking soo long to be released could mean that WB are waiting for the Captain Marvel marketing blitz to calm down most likely after it hits theaters. So the trailer might be out in March although WB should release it sooner so it  can be attached to Captain Marvel tho. 

We’ve seen so much of Captain Marvel now, it’s tiresome. They should release the trailer now, there’s a lot of interest in Shazam enough to withstand Captain Marvel’s marketing.

Push it back... That second weekend in August is perfect. Hobbs and Shaw will open fairly big, but it wouldn't be a juggernaut in its second weekend. With additional marketing, Shazam could easily open above 70 million and ride the rest of August to a 250 million total.

If nothing else, it would just amuse me to no end to see 13 billion click-bait articles and videos about "DC in crisis, panicking!" 

• Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Push it back... That second weekend in August is perfect. Hobbs and Shaw will open fairly big, but it wouldn't be a juggernaut in its second weekend. With additional marketing, Shazam could easily open above 70 million and ride the rest of August to a 250 million total.

If nothing else, it would just amuse me to no end to see 13 billion click-bait articles and videos about "DC in crisis, panicking!" 

It's very unlikely they'll push it back this late.