Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

8 hours ago, TMP said:

Awareness for this is so low. It looks like the best DCEU film, and is gonna easily end up making the least because WB isn't gonna start marketing it until 3 weeks before release. 

Is it really? I recently saw a thread on reddit comparing twitter numbers between this and CM (obtained from BOP) and they were fairly decent and not obscenely far from CM numbers. Add to that the fact that CM comes within a few weeks as compared to this plus the fact that we havent seen a 2nd trailer for a long time plus its not a well known superhero in the vein of Batman/Superman makes the number look good. That bodes well for this. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Is it really? I recently saw a thread on reddit comparing twitter numbers between this and CM (obtained from BOP) and they were fairly decent and not obscenely far from CM numbers. Add to that the fact that CM comes within a few weeks as compared to this plus the fact that we havent seen a 2nd trailer for a long time plus its not a well known superhero in the vein of Batman/Superman makes the number look good. That bodes well for this. 

How much more "plus" should we be expecting?

6 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Shazam also shares a name with a very popular app, so that will no doubt inflate the film's twitter numbers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Shazam also shares a name with a very popular app, so that will no doubt inflate the film's twitter numbers. 

I am sure BOP's algorithms account for such things. Because they also give out positive/negative ratio so I am sure they have a way of only counting relevant tweets

6 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I am sure BOP's algorithms account for such things. Because they also give out positive/negative ratio so I am sure they have a way of only counting relevant tweets

Lets hope so. It looks good, but I just feel like WB is gonna start promoting it too little too late for it to break out like it could have.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Lets hope so. It looks good, but I just feel like WB is gonna start promoting it too little too late for it to break out like it could have.

They did a great job with Kong Skull Island's late marketing. No reason why they can't replicate that success here too. 

They are likely waiting for Captain Marvel to get out of the way. Wouldn't want the marketing of the two to overshadow each other when they can simply wait and then have an empty field to themselves

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Why, oh why do so many people always ask Grace Randolph - a woman whose "sources" are probably just a janitor in the building adjacent to Lucasfilm - questions about big budget films? She's like every bad fanboy scooper/"Twitter influencer" put into a blender, and then shat out. She doesn't know anything about the film industry, or the people who work there, and all she does is peddle misinformation. 

• Like 2

Sensible heads would say.... Warner Bros. is obviously waiting for the Captain Marvel onslaught to die down a bit...no point in competing with *that.*  I'm sure we'll see more things pop once CM is released. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 1

I've gotten the Shazam trailer a whole bunch in the theater. The Meg, Smallfoot, Spider-Verse, Aquaman, Lego. I'm sure it's played in front of plenty of other movies too. Even if this mystical second trailer hasn't happened, I think there's enough promo in theaters and on TV where it doesn't matter that much. And hey, The Meg, A Star is Born and The Nun all did fine with only one trailer (yes I know they had different marketing strategies and are lower-tier releases)

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

Sensible heads would say.... Warner Bros. is obviously waiting for the Captain Marvel onslaught to die down a bit...no point in competing with *that.*  I'm sure we'll see more things pop once CM is released. 

Disney. is obviously waiting for the Captain Marvel onslaught to die down a bit...no point in competing with *that.*  I'm sure we'll see Endgame eating all the media attention once CM is released. 

16 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Disney. is obviously waiting for the Captain Marvel onslaught to die down a bit...no point in competing with *that.*  I'm sure we'll see Endgame eating all the media attention once CM is released. 

Yeah, I don't get that notion of waiting for Captain Marvel when Avengers is gonna be on your tail within a few weeks of CM coming out. 

I mean in general I'm just baffled by this notion of WB having still only put out one full trailer 7 months ago (and now we're like 44 days from release  ... but they've been very successful the last year, not really having any bombs, so I guess I'll trust them to have a plan ... I mean, I would hope they do. :P

Edited by AdamKendall