CJohn

Tuesday Numbers: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 1.6M

All of my friends, who were all excited to see the movie with me, didn't know it opened last night until I told them so we could go then. But even if it's 7PM+midnights, it's all either people who were amped to see the movie or the odd walk-in when some couple notices that it's playing. Me and a few other people told a couple dudes asking about the movie outside on our way out what it was basically about, and that it was awesome.

'Dragon Tattoo' kicks off holiday B.O.

Sony pic takes in $1.6 mil on Tuesday

Kick-starting a packed Christmas frame, Sony's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" earned $1.6 million from late-night Tuesday screenings, starting at 7 p.m.

"Dragon Tattoo" will play today at a total 2,914 locations - not all of which screened the film Tuesday night.

Paramount also boosted ticket sales, with "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" earning a total $3.7 million on Tuesday, of which $2 million came from evening and late-night show times. The film's existing large-format locations (at 425) contributed $1.7 million throughout the day; pic had approximately 2,400 additional theaters last night.

"Ghost Protocol" and "Dragon Tattoo" are expected to jockey for first place this weekend, with projected six-day domestic bows at around the $40 million mark.

"Dragon Tattoo," which received an A CinemaScore from Stateside auds, also launches this weekend in Scandinavia, including Sweden, where the film is set and has scored rave reviews from local critics.

Sweden's largest evening newspaper, Aftonbladet, described "Dragon Tattoo" as "a hell of a ride - crazy, nasty and sexier than the Swedish original," while the country's largest pubcaster, Swedish Television, compared it to the original, calling the remake "a much better, much tighter thriller. Hollywood wins."

Prior to its release, some B.O. pundits questioned whether Sony's "Tattoo" adaptation would play internationally, as the first film became a major B.O. hit overseas, grossing more than $93 million outside the U.S.

Up next for Sony's "Tattoo" are the U.K. and Russia, set to bow the pic over the next two weeks.

Good number. I don't even know how widespread awareness was of the 7PM shows.MI4 had 8PM shows last night in most conventional theaters, so I'd expect a big increase today. EDIT: 3.7m, there you go. Another solid number.

Edited by Gopher