Plain Old Tele

Misleading trailers/posters -- movies marketed as entirely different genres

Well, Hercules had a trailer which sold a wildly different movie altogether

The Godzilla trailer hid the MUTOs and Noah hid the Watchers, but that was not "misleading" I think, you still got Godzilla and the flood in those movies which was the selling point anyway.

I always come back to Watchmen trailer when thinking about misleading marketing. You wanna talk about a movie trying to fool its audience. They tried to sell the film as an action superhero movie, when it really wasn't.

Edited by Pokearcher

Some other examples,

Drive - One of the biggest examples. Was sold as an Fast and The Furious type film, when while there were some action scenes, the film was much slower than you'd expect.The Rules of Attraction - Where was the humor? This film was supposed to be a laugh riot according to the trailers, yet its bleak as fuck.The Grey - I'm sure audiences were disappointed by the lack of Liam Neeson fighting CGI wolves in the film.Hook - I came in to Hook expecting a slasher flick, what I got was a movie about a grown-up Peter Pan.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 2

Hercules, Lucy and Godzilla are 3 huge examples where the marketing lies. Drive is another very remembered example. 

Im pretty sure Man Of Steel would top most peoples lists

Philomena was pretty misleading, I think. There really isn't a whole lot of humor in the film and the story is quite tragic.

Iron man 3?

Im pretty sure all of you aren't really getting the point. 

• Like 3

Trailers are one thing. Posters and artwork usually aren't so extreme (except in the examples listed).

The DVD cover for "Mazes and Monsters" makes it look like Tom Hanks from 2000-2005 acted in that movie, however the movie is from 1982

Posted Image

Also, the movie Waitress. The poster makes it look like a Rom-com or a Romantic drama. In reality, it is a straight up drama

Posted Image

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

Do people actually just look at the cover and say: "Yeah, I'd watch a Bruce Willis - Mischa Barton flick called The Assassination" without finding out something more about it? Cause if you do that, you haven't been mislead.

• Like 1

I was under the impression we were talking about misleading marketing.

You guys are naming movies that didn't live up to a hype or certain exceptions. None of those films mentioned had misleading marketing. Any movie with any sort of twist (90%) of movies have misleading marketing.

So in the Godzilla trailer they take a monologue from Cranston yet he dies early on... He wasn't even talking about Godzilla ok.... But its a fucking world disaster monster movie with Godzilla

They didn't market it as a Father son Bonding picture. TASM2 doesn't have a poster or tagline advertising the film as a rom com with Emma Stone, its still fucking spider-man.

Man of Steel marketing was good, but misleading in no way other than its quality. The title thread is vague but if you read the article which inspired the topic you would see it has a different meaning then what you guys are discussing. 

• Like 6

Posted Image

Incredibly misleading DVD cover for a movie that's supposed to be humorous. This ain't The Dark Knight or Tim Burton's Batman.

Also,

Posted Image

Its not as family friendly as it looks.

I think you are seriously missing the point of this.

• Like 2