iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

Don't be hatin' on HTTYD/HTTYD2. Dreamworks has made one of the best film franchises with this series. They're able to make you feel emotions that not many other movies can, especially those that primarily target children.

There are quite a few scenes in both films in both films that are really powerful and memorable.

• Like 5

Don't be hatin' on HTTYD/HTTYD2. Dreamworks has made one of the best film franchises with this series. They're able to make you feel emotions that not many other movies can, especially those that primarily target children. There are quite a few scenes in both films in both films that are really powerful and memorable.

Won't speak against the second one as I haven't seen it ( I am actually looking forward to watching it at some point) but I didn't like the first. It was a generic animated film.

You guys can't say it wasn't generic even if it did have redeeming factors. It was one of the most predictable films I've ever seen. It followed a formula from start to finish.

Show me a film (popular at that) that doesn't follow some kind of trend and it would be a rarity. Its not about the formula but how its presented that counts.

You guys can't say it wasn't generic even if it did have redeeming factors. It was one of the most predictable films I've ever seen. It followed a formula from start to finish.

Uh, yeah we can. We have different opinions, right?

I could probably say the same thing about Frozen (I probably sound like a broken record now). Pretty much the whole movie was a collection of princess movie cliches. Films almost always follow a formula, but Frozen stuck way too close to the book and ended up feeling really tiring.

I like it even less now because people take away way too much from what it actually is. How To Train Your Dragon was a pretty fun idea (Viking boy living in a village that fights dragons starts training dragons), and it worked out really well again. Frozen started off with a good idea, but stuck too close to the book and relied on too many cliches.

• Like 1

#23: The Little Mermaid (1989) - 477 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animations)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A mermaid princess makes a Faustian bargain with an unscrupulous sea-witch in order to meet a human prince on land.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Little Mermaid is the highest ranking 1980s Disney animated film.

IMDB trivia (courtesy of Spidey Freak):
Ariel's animator based Ariel features on then young teen Alyssa Milano and the movement of astronaut Sally Ride's hair in gravity less space was studied to capture Ariel's hair movement underwater.

Posted Image

Sherri Stoner was used as the live action model for Ariel (Stoner was also used as the live action stand in for Belle).

Posted Image

BOF Blurb:
Spidey Freak:
A beautiful, powerful tale of an amazing father coming to terms with the fact that his precious daughter is trapped in her body and the world he dictates her to live in. And the only way he can attain peace and joy for the both of them is by setting her free. *Sniff* 

I also think Ariel is Disney's ultimate LGBT analogy, more so than Elsa. She feels trapped in her body and world and wants to be part of another but nobody can relate. Her isolation makes her vulnerable to predatory beings like Ursula (think of drug peddlers and pimps preying on LGBT youth). The Little Mermaid always had deep undertones pertaining to identity and gender issues stemming from Hans Christian Andersen's bisexuality. Howard Ashman just picked those themes up and ran with it for Ariel, making her one of the most endearing and touching characters in Disney history!

BOF User Review:
This is a great one.  And it ushered in the legendary Disney run of Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King.

A-
-33Legend, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 14

So HTTYD was generic but the Bee Movie wasn't?

Out of all the Dreamworks movies you defended the one you go after is easily their best one?

• Like 5

Show me a film (popular at that) that doesn't follow some kind of trend and it would be a rarity. Its not about the formula but how its presented that counts.

Yeah but I could of told you almost everything that happens in the movie before it happens at the age of 11.