iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

I love Despicable Me 2, Kung Fu Panda 2 improves so so much on the first one and is great.

Fantastic Mr Fox is one of my favourite animations

Rango is also really good

Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan are both Disney classics

A Bug's Life is my 3rd or 4th least favourite Pixar movie but is still amazing and gets a A-

Peter Pan I recently rewatched. It doesn't hold up at all and also two thoughts come to mind. One how the hell is this a kids movie? Two things from the movie: Just before Captain Hook lowers the gift into Peter Pan's place "Shouldn't we just slit his throat, it'd be more humane" and the scene where Tinkerbell seems happy she almost murdered Wendy. Seriously that's kid quality? Secondly how high must've the writers been to come up with such a nonsensical plot? Indians who are racistly drawn and have no effect on the plot, an alligator that leaves after a shoe is waved at him, sexism portraying Peter Pan as a lady's man where women fight each other over one guy, cannonballs being shot at a guy who can just make one step and miss it, a bunch of kids dressed in animal costumes, the ticking of a clock signaling the alligator is back, the dog being left floating in the air after they start flying, I could go on and on, but Jesus Christ nothing made any sense. Even the theme of never forgetting your childhood and Wendy's journey from sadness to acceptance of growing up is so convoluted throughout the movie you almost miss it. I was thoroughly disappointed after the rewatch since it was one of my favorites as a kid. It doesn't deserve to be on this list and you guys that do have it there should definitely give it a rewatch.

• Like 1

Secondly how high must've the writers been to come up with such a nonsensical plot? Indians who are racistly drawn and have no effect on the plot,

Source material

sexism portraying Peter Pan as a lady's man where women fight each other over one guy,

Source material

a bunch of kids dressed in animal costumes,

Source material

the ticking of a clock signaling the alligator is back,

Source material. Take up your issues with these elements with the ghost of J.M. Barrie, not the people at the Disney studio.Haven't seen Peter Pan in years, so I can't actually weigh in on it myself. Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

I am happy A Bug's Life made the top 50! I think it might be the most underrated Pixar Movie. :)

Agreed, I adored a bug s life when it came out, the world of cute little insects was so fully fleshed out and endearing.
  • Like 1

I'm fine with fun, I enjoy movies that are just entertaining, but my god that was just terrible. I forgive other Disney movies for their sexism and racism since they're in a different era then now, but I couldn't in good conscience be able to ignore all the flaws in this one. Yes it's in the source material, but goddamn they could've at least tried to make it a little more palatable. Even if it's source material the movie is made from, I can't understand how anyone could enjoy watching that. It went from being one of my favorite Disney films to least favorite after I rewatched it.

• Like 1

#44: Lilo and Stitch (2002) - 302 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A Hawaiian girl adopts an unusual pet who is actually a notorious extra-terrestrial fugitive from the law.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Lilo and Stitch is the highest ranked Disney Animated film of the 2000's.

IMDB trivia:
When Lilo explains about how she desperately needed to give Pudge the fish a peanut butter sandwich because he controls the weather, it seems that she is just being random, but there is reason behind it: Lilo's parents died in a rainstorm.

BOF Blurb(s)
There's a few blurbs so I'll spoil tag it to keep the post short:

Chasmmi: 

Avoided this for years as I was interested in the whole crazy alien schtic. What I didn't know until a few days ago is that Lili is absofeckinglutely awesome. One of the best disney characters out there. This girl is cute, heartbreaking, insane and zany all in one. 

Stitch actually was pretty good too, but Lilo was perfect.

Spidey Freak:

There is a reason Lilo is the highest grossing Disney Animation film in the fallow years between the Disney Renaissance and Tangled. Not only is it loads of fun but it packs in immense heart as well. I love how the leads have REAL issues: Lilo is a clearly traumatized little girl who has lost all sense of social skills after the tragic loss of her parents while Stitch has all the baggage you'd expect from a Rocket Raccoon-esque science experiment created solely for destructive purposes. Speaking of Rocket, this actually feels like an animated pre-cursor to Guardians of the Galaxy. It has the main ingredient of what makes that movie so appealing: Battered outcast souls (some of them alien) with no other way to turn, coming together and forming a family and teaching each other to grow, evolve and love.

I also like that the character designers have put aside the stick-thin Disney Princess body template for Lilo and Nani and have instead given them more normal proportions. Even their facial features haven't been dolled up. These sisters also have a touching relationship that forms the soul of the entire movie, reminiscent of Anna and Elsa's bond in Frozen. Also love the use of the Elvis songs.

And "Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride" is one of the most upbeat, swinging and joyful Disney songs ever!

Spaghetti:

Do you wish that The Descendants had more aliens? Well, your wish is granted. It's a mix of two stories, one being a poignant family drama set in Hawaii, the other being an alien space caper. The two seem like they wouldn't mesh well at all, but in a strange twist, they end up actually deepening each others themes. It's a hilarious and heartfelt journey, and it's been one of my favorite animated movies since I first saw it as a child. That, and it really helped me realize what an awesome eye for animation Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois have.

BOF User Review:
The best WDAS animation between New Groove and Frozen, and I'd put it above both. I didnt see it in theaters as a kid, but once I did see it I was mesmerized. So much heart, humor, and beauty. The Hawaii setting mixed with Elvis themes is perfect. Thinking about it, it may be my favorite WDAS ever, even above TLK. 

No, it is. A+ 
-Jandrew, 2014
Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 18