Punishment

Weekend Actuals 8/22-8/24 GOTG 17.2m, TMNT 16.7m, Stay 15.7m, Cops 10.8m

Clearly comic book action films hold their sway. The discussion of the CBM's death continues to be exaggerated.Hoped for in some corners but exaggerated. GotG and TMNT ruling August.Them being of very similar target audience (family/teen) makes it even more impressive.In theory one should've wholly knocked the wind out of the others sails.

Don't tell baumer.
  • Like 1

In a foreign language cinema BO side they are wondering about #10 of the US list

DR. WHO Special THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR => Sunday $4.8m

=> correction => that is Monday... !?

Edited by terrestrial

I was just about to say, that Sin City number has to be Paramount'ed. Why the hell would that film have the only sub-30% drop in the top 10 when the family appealing films like GOTG and TMNT couldn't even manage it?

Sunday was a school night. You'd expect an adult film like Sin City to have a better hold than a kid's film.

Pretty much, SC2 held up well on sunday pretty much everywhere, in Canada it was less than 20% drop sunday

LA -26%, NYC -36%, Detroit -15

• Like 2

Top thr engagement  wkend 22-24/81-CGV Cinemas LA, Los Angeles CA (TAR)2-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook, Calgary AB (GOTG)3-Regal Union Square 14, New York City NY (GOTG)4-AMC Metreon 16, San Francisco CA (GOTG)5-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY  (GOTG)6-AMC Lincoln Square 13, New York City NY (GOTG)7-AMC Tyson Corner 16, Mclean VA (GOTG)8-NatAM Edgewater 16, Edgewater NJ (TAR)9-Regal E-walk 13, New York City NY (TMNT)10-AMC Burbank 30, Burbank CA (GOTG)11-CPLX Scotiabank Edmonton, Edmonton AB (GOTG)12-AMC Century City 15, Century City CA (GOTG)-13-CM Warren 14, Moore OK (GOTG)14-CPLX Scotiabank Vancouver 9, Vancouver BC (GOTG)15-Regal La Habra 16, La Habra CA (TAR)16-Regal Thornton Place 14, Seattle WA (GOTG)17-Regal Mira Mesa 17, San Diego CA (GOTG)18-Regal South Gate 20, South Gate CA (TMNT)19-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY  (LBC)20-Regal Irvine Spectrum 21, Irvine CA (GOTG) 

• Like 7

WTF- the L.A. engagement of Roaring Currents sold the most tickets of any single movie at a single theater in all of North America?!Only The Numbers has weekend numbers for Roaring Currents, and they're just estimates. This weekend it made $480,000 from 47 locations, $10.2K PTA. Last weekend was $525,500 from 30 locations, $17.5K PTA.And I understand big cities and a lot of LA/Southern California venues, and McLean, VA is a suburb of Washington D.C., but what's with Moore, Oklahoma? Yes, it's a suburb of Oklahoma City, but still - why did THAT theater pull in so many ticket sales?And why does that theater in Calgary consistently have the top engagements in Canada?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Hopefully we get 10 superhero films a year and zero original movies a year.

I see that BoMojo tracked 687 movies last year...isn't it possible that there are plenty of movies for every taste?   10 SH movies would hardly be a dent in the total number of movies.   I'll bet there are far more comedies in that 687 than SH movies.   ;)

I checked...there are 9 comedies....in the top 50!!  :D

I see that BoMojo tracked 687 movies last year...isn't it possible that there are plenty of movies for every taste?   10 SH movies would hardly be a dent in the total number of movies.   I'll bet there are far more comedies in that 687 than SH movies.   ;)

I checked...there are 9 comedies....in the top 50!!   :D

Its a bit out of date, but...

Posted Image

• Like 2

WTF- the L.A. engagement of Roaring Currents sold the most tickets of any single movie at a single theater in all of North America?!Only The Numbers has weekend numbers for Roaring Currents, and they're just estimates. This weekend it made $480,000 from 47 locations, $10.2K PTA. Last weekend was $525,500 from 30 locations, $17.5K PTA.And I understand big cities and a lot of LA/Southern California venues, and McLean, VA is a suburb of Washington D.C., but what's with Moore, Oklahoma? Yes, it's a suburb of Oklahoma City, but still - why did THAT theater pull in so many ticket sales?And why does that theater in Calgary consistently have the top engagements in Canada?

TAR Last weekend actuals 33 562,332 #23 cume is now 1,516,421 (really good mid week) , in LA only 3 theaters playing so hence one reason for CGV Cinemas to be so popular

as for the other lot of factors, one factor is competitive areas how many other  theaters near by playing same film (some areas two theaters right near each other might be playing same, in some places thats not allowed), how far between theaters, a theaters popularity over another (take Warren there is a 16plex 4miles away that takes nothing compared to Warren and another 9 miles away does better than the one 4miles away but still Warren is much bigger)

For YTD all films Warren in #20 and Calgary Scotiabank is #4 ,

The top 20 theaters all films YTD  consist of 3 in NYC(Manhatten),1, Paramus NJ,7 in Greater LA,1 Calgary,1  Toronto,1 Orlando, 2 Miami, 1 W DC,1 Boston,1 Fresno,1 Oklahoma City

Edited by Rth
  • Like 3

Actually, big drops for almost everything from estimates it seems. Wonder how much of an effect that earthquake had, if any.

I was wondering what caused the drops as well. 9 out of the top 10 dropped from the initial estimates. It's unusual when all of the studios have consistent overestimates like that?

The earthquake was only localized to part of Northern California. Outside of Napa County, it wouldn't have affected moviegoing.Here near San Francisco, we felt it for about 15 seconds in the wee hours of the morning and that was it. It didn't affect the rest of the West Coast. It didn't affect L.A. or Seattle or Portland or Phoenix or anywhere else.

Edited by TServo2049

The earthquake was only localized to part of Northern California. Outside of Napa County, it wouldn't have affected moviegoing.Here near San Francisco, we felt it for about 15 seconds in the wee hours of the morning and that was it. It didn't affect the rest of the West Coast. It didn't affect L.A. or Seattle or Portland or Phoenix or anywhere else.

Unless it causes severe damage somewhere it's not really a big deal.  I grew up in the Bay Area and they taught us earthquake safety as far back as I can remember.  Now if that happened in some of the other areas I've lived, they'd probably be traumatized.

• Like 2