Beowulf (2007)

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Best heroic fantasy movie of the last decade. Better than LOTR by a large margin. If it had been live action, people would hold it higher next to Conan The Barbarian. Scripted by Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary, it's a reinterpretation of the classic epic poem in which Eros and Thanatos intertwined underlying how our myths and heroes are tales forged by men consumed by mischief, lust, passion, hunger, lies, envy and desire. Beowulf's fate crystallizes the shift from Paganism to monotheism in early middle age Europe through the path of a boasting Hero shedding light on the cracks and tribulations of the mere mortal lying behind.

Silvestri's Bewoulf theme is so powerful, ie "What We Need Is A Hero" and "Beowulf Slays The Dragon", that shot after Beowulf ripped the dragon's heart and the latter falls into the ocean in slomo is pure cinematic beauty.

A+

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Idk. I don't have much to say about Beowulf. The characters look dull and uninteresting, almost video-game like movements, but the acting is good. I'd say the creature effects aren't spectacular but they make up for most of the movie's faults. Plus, anything with naked Angelina Jolie is a plus in my book. Me Gusta, totally Gucci ;)B-

Lol I remember when this came out on DVD my parents rented it for me and I thought it was live action. So when it turned out to be animated I was like what the fuck. Still enjoyed it if I remember correctly but was disappointed. I give it a B from what I can recall.