Olive

Weekend Numbers (4 day estimates pg 35)

150m or so is pretty standard these days.

Nope, 1/2 production budget with a limit to $70m is still pretty normal. But there are exceptions who make it into the news and as such might change the impression people have about what is 'normal'.

'Guardians' opened to $7M in Germany this weekend. That's up 74% on 'Captain America 2' but down 17% from 'Thor 2': http://t.co/Ug1C1oglds

— Box Office Mojo (@boxofficemojo) August 31, 2014
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not unexpected. Thor 2 is more or less a fantasy movie. Those almost always do well in Germany.

• Like 1

Not unexpected. Thor 2 is more or less a fantasy movie. Those almost always do well in Germany.

Nope, Thor is part of the Northern God mythology ans as such our 'pre-Christian' culture => still something you learn in school and so on

The director of part 1 is here well known for his work of Shakespearean material

=> as I left the cinema after Thor 1 I heard people discuss the modernized interpretation about the old material... as in neither knowing nor realizing Thor is also an Asgardian culture based comic and it's being a Marvel movie

Nope, Thor is part of the Northern God mythology ans as such our 'pre-Christian' culture => still something you learn in school and so onThe director of part 1 is here well known for his work of Shakespearean material=> as I left the cinema after Thor 1 I heard people discuss the modernized interpretation about the old material... as in neither knowing nor realizing Thor is also an Asgardian culture based comic and it's being a Marvel movie

Exactly, Thor is mythology based thus fantasy.

Exactly, Thor is mythology based thus fantasy.

Not at all.

Would you call Christan's beliefs fantasy?

For me fantasy is e.g. LotR, Narnia, Dracula...., modernized monster and similar including fairy tales, folk's stories.....

The Northern Mythology (official term) is the comparable to the Greek mythology as in Zeus.... or Roman's Jupiter or Venus as goddess of... => not the same, as it is a (nearly) dead religion.

Not at all.Would you call Christan's beliefs fantasy?For me fantasy is e.g. LotR, Narnia, Dracula...., modernized monster and similar including fairy tales, folk's stories.....The Northern Mythology (official term) is the comparable to the Greek mythology as in Zeus.... or Roman's Jupiter or Venus as goddess of... => not the same, as it is a (nearly) dead religion.

Mythology is definitely fantasy, why do you think most fantasy is based off mythology? Nobody practices Norse or Greek mythologies, they can literally be disproven, they are supernatural impossible stories.Fantasy is something impossible or improbable with little basis in reality, thus Greek Mythology would be just that fantasy. What makes mythology different however is that is fits under different genres when compared to other types if literature and art (however Marvel's Thor would most definitely be science fantasy). Greek Mythology for instance is simply that you can learn about the historicity of the culture that practiced that mythology, however it doesn't change the fact that that type of mythology is fantasy.Some people don't like to classify mythology as a branch of fantasy because they are scared to offend a dead culture, however looking at flat definitions and what mythology is I don't see how it's not a version of fantasy.
  • Like 1

Mythology is definitely fantasy, why do you think most fantasy is based off mythology? Nobody practices Norse or Greek mythologies, they can literally be disproven, they are supernatural impossible stories.

Fantasy is something impossible or improbable with little basis in reality, thus Greek Mythology would be just that fantasy.

What makes mythology different however is that is fits under different genres when compared to other types if literature and art (however Marvel's Thor would most definitely be science fantasy). Greek Mythology for instance is simply that you can learn about the historicity of the culture that practiced that mythology, however it doesn't change the fact that that type of mythology is fantasy.

Some people don't like to classify mythology as a branch of fantasy because they are scared to offend a dead culture, however looking at flat definitions and what mythology is I don't see how it's not a version of fantasy.

Totally disagree.

There are differences in mythology as in e.g. myths about some creatures like vampires or the Mythology named former religion. Not practiced = also not true (not in the original way, but in an 'evolved' way).

Not directly the same, but in a way adding to that theme: e.g. Druids is again an official accepted (and tax-free) religion in UK...

We have in Europe people who follow Native American religion/cultural ideals ad even life 'their' since long not really actual lifestyle

There are still people who practice other non-big religion versions too

To disprove religion makes no sense as it is about believing in the possibility of higher beings... in general.

Fantasy is based on 3 basic groups:

sagas

myths

fairy tales

=> those are often developed out of very ancient ~ religions too (plus some heroes of the past and so on mixed in), but changed over the (long) time to something less and less religious and more and more to people's storytelling

The Nordic Mythology isn't named mythology for the reasons of being a 'myth' in the usual way, it is called so as a sum expression for a group in a group of a pre-Christian culture/religion mix (as in sharing parts with e.g. Old German gods/myths/heroes/....)

As a rather big group of variations of the over the time asunder versions of the in basics rather similar (and way back probably the same) religions & ideas of the reasons for being human and/or a culture, but also including big events and heroes of the regional past (a bit like the holy people of Christianity).

That includes beings the dead encounter 'on the other side', burial rites... too, beings to prey to too....

It has myths included in a way, but is mainly religion & culture mix.

Same about Greek Mythology, to not respect others religion (no matter if dead or alive) is IMHO not o.K.

Fact is something else....

Scared to offend... wow.

I guess you have no idea how people living in other cultural surroundings see or might see things or why they do or interpret something in their own way.

But before I let myself seduce to stir away from topic even more:

Box Office Mojo @boxofficemojo 33 mins

Disney has now earned over $2 billion worldwide from 'Maleficent,' 'Captain America' and 'Guardians of the Galaxy': http://bit.ly/1CgKgfd

• Like 1

Mythology is definitely fantasy, why do you think most fantasy is based off mythology? Nobody practices Norse or Greek mythologies, they can literally be disproven, they are supernatural impossible stories.Fantasy is something impossible or improbable with little basis in reality, thus Greek Mythology would be just that fantasy.What makes mythology different however is that is fits under different genres when compared to other types if literature and art (however Marvel's Thor would most definitely be science fantasy). Greek Mythology for instance is simply that you can learn about the historicity of the culture that practiced that mythology, however it doesn't change the fact that that type of mythology is fantasy.Some people don't like to classify mythology as a branch of fantasy because they are scared to offend a dead culture, however looking at flat definitions and what mythology is I don't see how it's not a version of fantasy.

I think terrestrial was making the point that Thor is not completely seen as a "fantasy movie" in German culture.   There is a bit more of a "religious/historical" element mixed in there.    So our view of it really isn't applicable.

• Like 2