Walt Disney

Top 200 Domestic Grossing Movies of all-time (Adjusted for Inflation)

In all fairness it would make sense to go through and adjust the handful of 3D films that made the list down to what they would be without their respective 3D grosses. Doing so for example would put Avatar closer to TDK and Thunderball. Obviously it's a rough estimate and could be off by several million, but it would be effectively "in the ballpark"

In all fairness it would make sense to go through and adjust the handful of 3D films that made the list down to what they would be without their respective 3D grosses. Doing so for example would put Avatar closer to TDK and Thunderball. Obviously it's a rough estimate and could be off by several million, but it would be effectively "in the ballpark"

I would need the 3D share that a film like Avatar made to be able to do that. If I was ever able to find that information, then I would consider making that adjustment. However, I don't know where to find information about a film's 3D share.

Edited by Walt Disney

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to take 3D share into account, because, every film makes a different amount of shares in 3D and I'm not even sure they track it much after opening weekend.

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to take 3D share into account, because, every film makes a different amount of shares in 3D and I'm not even sure they track it much after opening weekend.

They do set the average ticket price with 3D in mind. Box Office Mojo does quarterly adjustments, so that the average ticket price changes as the number of 3D theaters increases or decreases from quarter to quarter. However, that's just the average, so a movie that is heavily attended in 3D will have an advantage over another movie that isn't as heavily attended in 3D. But a movie that has more attendance from certain big cities than less populated areas will have that same advantage because ticket prices are higher in certain big cities.

• Like 1

2015 may be the year of the blockbuster. 2015 has already had 5 films make the top 200 domestic (adjusted) grossing films list. That would be an incredible result for any year, but it is especially impressive because 2015 may not be done adding films onto the list. With the release of The Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 2 and Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, another 2 films from 2015 should be able to make the list. That would give 2015 7 films on the list. The current record is 6 movies in a year, which has been done in 2002, 2004, and 2010.

The record for most films from one studio in a single year is 3. That was done twice. The first time was in 2001 when Warner Bros. had Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring, and Rush Hour 2 make the list. The second time was in 2010 when Disney had Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, and Iron Man 2 make the list. In 2015, both Disney and Universal should each have 3 movies make the list. Universal already has 3 movies on the list: Furious 7, Jurassic World, and Minions. Disney currently has 2 movies on the list: Inside Out and Avengers: Age of Ultron. Disney should have Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens make the list as well, which would give Disney 3 films from 2015 on the list.

Universal had been very quiet in the field of blockbusters coming into this decade. Despicable Me 2's success gave Universal 18 films out of the top 200 domestic (adjusted) movies of all-time. That put Universal in 5th place behind Disney, Warner Bros., Paramount, and Fox. With Universal's monster year in 2015, they now have 21 movies on the list, which moves them ahead of Fox. In the battle of the blockbusters, Universal is on the rise.

Disney continues to dominate when it comes to blockbusters. Out of the top 200 domestic grossing movies (adjusted for inflation) of all-time, Disney has 41 of them. They are currently leading 2nd place Warner Bros. by 7 movies (41- 34). Disney is primed to have a record setting decade in the 2010's. Warner Bros. currently has 12 movies on the list from the last decade. That is the current record for the most movies by a single studio in a decade on the list. Disney currently has 9 movies on the list from this decade. Even if Iron Man 2 gets knocked off of the list, Disney would still only need 5 more movies on the list from this decade to break the record. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens will make the list. So Disney needs 4 movies in the next 4 years to make the list. Disney has a lot of blockbusters that will come out in the next 4 years, so Disney should break Warner Bros. record.

2015 is a special year at the box office. There will be a new record for the number of Top 200 domestic grossing movies (adjusted for inflation) from a single year. Universal and Disney have dominated the world of blockbusters in record tying fashion (there should be 3 films from each studio for 2015). Lionsgate will add another blockbuster to the list when their 4th Hunger Games film becomes the 4th Hunger Games film to make the list. 2015 is definitely the year of the blockbuster.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2015, 11:54:06, Walt Disney said:

They do set the average ticket price with 3D in mind. Box Office Mojo does quarterly adjustments, so that the average ticket price changes as the number of 3D theaters increases or decreases from quarter to quarter. However, that's just the average, so a movie that is heavily attended in 3D will have an advantage over another movie that isn't as heavily attended in 3D. But a movie that has more attendance from certain big cities than less populated areas will have that same advantage because ticket prices are higher in certain big cities.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20748-star-wars-the-force-awakens-opening-weekend-actuals-in-1st-post-247966675-the-force-awoke-and-its-not-sleeping-anytime-soon-119-68-60/?do=findComment&comment=2314266

Also, for TFA, Deadline reported a 28% 3D share, 12% IMAX 3D share, and 7% PLF share for the OW.  Based on that I got an average price of $10.40 and ~23.9M tickets sold over the weekend.  This weekend we'll get more information on how the shares have shifted over the week and 2nd weekend, but till then, I'm using the $10.40 price which means TFA is sitting at 37.6M tickets sold through Thursday.

• Like 1

Box Office Mojo has adjusted the domestic gross of Cinderella (1950) for inflation and added it to its domestic adjusted grossing films' list. That change has been reflected on this list by moving Cinderella from where I originally had it ranked to where Box Office Mojo has it ranked.

There are now only 15 older movies that Box office Mojo does not have on its list that should be there.

• Like 1

This should be a very interesting year for this list. No studio has more than 3 movies from the same year on this list. However, Disney may change that in 2016. They currently have Zootopia, The Jungle Book, and Captain America: Civil War all slowly climbing the rankings to make the list. After that, Finding Dory and Star Wars: Rogue One both have an excellent chance of making the list. That would give Disney 5 films from the same year that are each 1 of the top 200 domestic adjusted grossing films of all-time. That would truly be an amazing result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Question: so, when Iron Man was released, it was done so by an independent studio named Marvel Studios? Before Disney bought it, who financed it?

Iron Man was distributed by Paramount. However, it was financed by Marvel. Paramount was just the distributor.

Edited by Walt Disney

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

/notsureifserious.gif

(Paramount)

I was serious.

That's an aspect of movies that I don't really follow, and my question had to do with not knowing whether or not Marvel Studios started as its own independent thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt Disney said:

Iron Man was distributed by Paramount. However, it was financed by Marvel. Paramount was just the distributor.

Thanks.

I was curious in terms of how Marvel comics, which I understand were basically bankrupt at one point, managed to finance that film.

• Like 1