The Searchers (1956)

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's amazingly entertaining, very well shot, well acted, occasionally tense and funny movie.
But I didn't get emotionally attached to any of those characters, and some of them are just bad, or should I say product of its time.

80/100

Its twisted and self-reflective nuance about western genre is always remindful. Not just "great cowboys vs evil Indians" structure. John Wayne character is heroic protagonist yet kinda forerunner of Travis Bickle. When he was trying to kill his niece because she assimilated into Indians community, the movie became significantly interesting. As we know John Ford attempted many genres besides western, but certainly he made western films damn well. 

Just saw it, not really sure what to think. I want to like it, but the characters outside of Ethan and Martin ranged from boring to annoying to just shrill in the case of Laurie. Martin might've been better off letting that dude with the awful accent marry her.

I'm also not particularly fond of the Deus Ex Idiot plot device leading them to Scar. Made most of Ethan and Martin's search pointless when some character, whom I don't recall even being hinted at as having gone off to look, just appears out of the ether and leads them to the camp. Twice! 

The scenes done on location were beautifully shot, but it made the transitions to the scenes shot on sound stages jarring.