RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers (NGD 24.5M)

Yesssss Elba and Henson. I've always thought her career (and Octavia Spencer/Viola Davis) should be in the stratosphere after her Oscar nom. Hell, Spencer freakin' won an Oscar and she should really be getting huge roles in movies. 

Still though, love seeing these movies over perform. Hoping Dolphin Tale 2 stays in line with the first. 

Here's Variety:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-no-good-deed-opening-weekend-1201304765/

Idris Elba and Taraji P. Henson are pushing the U.S. box office out of its posts-summer doldrums, with early Friday estimates for Sony’s “No Good Deed” pointing to an opening weekend that could go as high as $25 million.

Warner Bros.’ family sequel “Dolphin Tale 2″ looked lively with Friday forecasts indicating a $20 million launch frame — in line with recent tracking.

“No Good Deed,” with Elba portraying an escaped convict, was dominating business on Friday with an estimated $9 million at 2,171 locations —  even though Sony eschewed late Thursday screenings in order to keep a key plot twist under wraps, meaning reviews didn’t hit until Friday. That would put “Deed” on track to finish the weekend in the low to mid-20s.

• Like 1

Yesssss Elba and Henson. I've always thought her career (and Octavia Spencer/Viola Davis) should be in the stratosphere after her Oscar nom. Hell, Spencer freakin' won an Oscar and she should really be getting huge roles in movies. 

Still though, love seeing these movies over perform. Hoping Dolphin Tale 2 stays in line with the first. 

Helen Hunt, Mira Sorvino, even fan favorite Marisa Tomei - all of these girls' career in movies actually nose-dived after they won an Oscar.  Oscar is great for those who is already a proven movie star. Remember the Hudson girl? Exactly.

• Like 1

Helen Hunt, Mira Sorvino, even fan favorite Marisa Tomei - all of these girls' career in movies actually nose-dived after they won an Oscar.  Oscar is great for those who is already a proven movie star. Remember the Hudson girl? Exactly.

Its not a curse.  It goes either way winning an Oscar.  They have to use that opportunity especially picking scripts on the film as well as money making machine franchise.

• Like 2

Dat Elba effect

Taraji P. Henson has a huge black fan base. She's been promoting the film a lot, especially on her social media accounts that have millions of followers. In the USA, I think she has a stronger black fan base than Idris actually.

I think it's a combination of them. People were interested in seeing Henson in a thriller and Idris as a bad guy.

Edited by lyndenfl

I'm always happy to get those Rth numbers. And the Spatula numbers too. I do miss getting those numbers when those guys aren't here. Those numbers are addictive.

Posted Image

Sorry about my hiatus.  The numbers were just too depressing for me to report on.

Edited by spatulashack
  • Like 16