sakskidz

Zoolander 2 | February 12, 2016 | Teaser Trailer on Page 6!

I'd like to say that this will do an Austin Powers 2 on us, but I thought that Anchorman 2 would do that, and it did not.

Austin Powers is a better comparison but a north of 30 million debut seems reasonable. But it's too early to predict.

An Anchorman 1->Anchorman 2 admissions bump of 13% would only get this to $73.7m.

I think Dumb and Dumber To numbers are probably the ceiling. Zoolander has fans, I know people who remember it, I certainly remember it and liked it, but it doesn't feel like it's quoted or remembered to the level even Anchorman was.

And I still can't figure out why every "next-generation comedy sequel" is compared to Austin Powers 2, when they aren't remotely the same thing. Austin Powers 2 came out two years after the original, it was definitely a "strike while the iron's hot" thing. (Just realized Jay Roach was able to parlay TWO well-liked original comedies into breakout sequels, AP2 and Meet the Fockers. And now every sequel to a real or perceived zeitgeist comedy is measured against Roach's two sequel successes.)

Edited by TServo2049